reformat hard drive in vista

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by LPDustin, Feb 26, 2007.

1. LPDustin

LPDustin

I have been having alot of slow downs, and alot of problems lately, heres a quick list:

-usb ports wont identify things when i plug them in, I have to reinstall the usb port for it to realize its there, as for my wireless mouse and keyboard it doesnt recognize it at all

-my network card will work for a while then only give me limited connectivity resulting in me having to use a usb wireless thing, but the above problem makes this annoying.

Plus I figured that starting Vista clean would be a bit better, but my question is how do I reformat my hard drive in vista I tryed the old command prompt "format c:" but it gives me a ridiculous message saying i need to be in elevated mode

So unless someone can help me fix the above problems, I need someone to help me reformat my hard drive

LPDustin, Feb 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. LPDustin

Antrax

There could be a number of problems causing this, especially as you state USB failure.

Easiest way to reformat would be to boot from your Vista cd and do a clean install, but delete the partition and create a new one whilst in there.

Antrax, Feb 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. LPDustin

LPDustin

What kind of problems? and I just emailed the company I bought the computer from about the problem so maybe they can help me out.

So when I put in the DVD and click install clean copy and select my C: it will format it and install a clean copy?

LPDustin, Feb 26, 2007
  4. LPDustin

Crispy

You must delete the partition and create a new one in its place. When you get to the part where you choose the hard drive to install vista, there should be an option that when clicked will give you more options. in those options there should be a delete button and a create button. Delete the existing partition and create a new one.

Crispy, Feb 26, 2007
  5. LPDustin

LPDustin

Okay I figured it out, strange though, when I told it to format the hard drive it took like 10 seconds :S

LPDustin, Feb 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question