recovery system

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by focus01, Apr 15, 2008.

1. focus01

focus01

hi,

my son decided to do a full recovery of his hp530 laptop for some reason and all seemed to go well but for one small proberlem, he cannot access the internet connection unless he uses the routers dongle which works alright.

laptop hp 530

vista home basic

router dynamode+dongle

virgin cable b/b

i will be gratefull for any help,thank in advance

focus01, Apr 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. focus01

WAW8

Sounds like a networking problem -- so I'm moving this to the Networking forum where it will get more visibility.

Was it working without the router dongle before the restore?

WAW8, Apr 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. focus01

focus01

thanks for the quick reply .the answer is yes everthing was ok,the bit i am not to sure about is if he can go online with the dongle why not without it.

focus01, Apr 16, 2008
  4. focus01

WAW8

Need to know more about the router, as in, which make and model? I've used lots of routers and haven't run across one with a dongle.

WAW8, Apr 16, 2008
  5. focus01

focus01

hi, in answer to you question the route is as follows broadband lifestyle(dynamode)802.11g wireless router plus wireless usb dongle(br-6004w-g1),i got it though virgin media as that is what they recomend to use with there setup cable broadband.hope this helps,

focus01, Apr 16, 2008
  6. focus01

WAW8

OK, understand now. Looked at the Virgin media site, found several different routers.

When you said "dongle" I was thinking of the legacy equipment that required a piece of hardware plugged into a serial port as an anti-piracy feature. This "dongle" appears to be nothing more than a wireless USB adapter.

If you have wireless built into your machine, then you already have an adapter and should not need the "dongle" -- but since this is a OEM-provided router, they may have configured it through firmware to require the use of the "dongle". Be advised though, the ones I saw on the Virgin site didn't mention supporting Vista.

WAW8, Apr 16, 2008
  7. focus01

focus01

thanks for the reply,yes the laptop has a wireless adaptor fitted as it was all working fine till he did a complete restore from the backup discs he made when he first got it,but since then the only way to get online is to use this dongle.any help pointing me in the right direction to sort out his problem would be most helpful. thanks

focus01, Apr 16, 2008
  8. focus01

WAW8

You are going to have to contact either HP or the router manufacturer or both.

I recently reinstalled an HP Media Center PC for a client, and I was only able to get that to work using the HP-certified CDs that I had obtained directly from HP. The recovery CDs that I made from the machine kind-of worked, I say kind-of because they failed to reinstall some of the HP-supplied apps and some of the drivers.

I had to resort to using the genuine HP CDs -- and that took over eight hours to do the restoration. In my case, there was a "supplemental driver CD" (again, HP-certified) that had to be installed last. The "restore CDs" I made from the machine didn't contain what was on the "supplemental driver CD".

I'm guessing that your situation is similar in that you got a working machine back, but one or more of the drivers is missing. So, you're going to have to contact HP to get the missing drivers (may be able to download them) and/or you're going to have to contact the router supplier to see how to use it without requiring the dongle (maybe there's some setting hidden deep down inside some config menu).

WAW8, Apr 17, 2008
  9. focus01

focus01

i thoughthe might have to go down that road ,once again thankyou for your time and advice , i will be staying around as there seems to be some usefull tips on here,by the way i am useing my hp 530 wirelessly to send this

focus01, Apr 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question