Recovery Discs damaged, want to reformat

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by T_Rebel, Jan 4, 2011.

1. T_Rebel

T_Rebel

Hello, my first post and rather simple.

So heres my question, I already created my recovery discs, but they have been through a few home moves and got scratched in the process. so i was wondering if i use a copy of my friends vista disk he got from Microsoft, if can i register my key to start fresh, or is there any alternatives for free at my disposal? i really don't want to have to pay for a new set of discs... I am in process for a computer engineering degree so I am fairly able to get around technical things if that might help any.

T_Rebel, Jan 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. T_Rebel

T_Rebel

can no one answer this simple question?

T_Rebel, Jan 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. T_Rebel

WAW8

Sorry no one got back to you ... but if you're still reading this ... what do you mean by "start fresh" -- installing Vista all over again?

IF you created recovery disks for a PC that came preinstalled with Vista, if it is an HP, they have typically limited you to ONE set of disks. After that, the creation routine won't work anymore.

The problem with using another Vista DVD is that the info is stored on the hard drive, so, you would most probably have to erase the drive and reinstall Vista from scratch in order to recreate the recovery disks.

Is this what you're looking to do?

WAW8, Jan 13, 2011
  4. T_Rebel

T_Rebel

yes i have an external HD i keep important items on, so formating my hd is no issue, and i really hate the bloat ware that came on my hp disks

T_Rebel, Jan 17, 2011
  5. T_Rebel

WAW8

Retail Vista DVDs actually contain more than one version on the disk. The version that actually gets installed depends on several factors, but suffice it to say, that if your machine came preloaded with Vista, there should be a sticker on it somewhere containing the product key. You can use that same key to install it from your friend's Vista DVD -- but be sure to install the same version that came on the PC. Product keys are version-specific.

WAW8, Jan 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question