Recovering/resetting things after the compcrashed out

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by thepeoplespoet, Oct 24, 2012.

1. thepeoplespoet

thepeoplespoet

Hi all,

Well, it didn't completely crash out, but I will explain here.

When I was trying to repair my computer. It just stopped working one day last week, it just seemed to have a fit, freeze for a moment or two and when I tried to click on anything, I couldn't. So the only thing I could do was press and hold in the 'On' button on the front of the harddrive to switch the computer off completely and when I turned it back on again, everything seemed fine but nothing would work properly. My new DVD burner drive that I bought stopped working also and when I connect up a drive to the same cables, the drive doesn't shop up on the computer, so I think the fit the comp has affected those too.

I tried to do a System Restore, let comp do it's thing and when it was finished, I got an error message saying 'System Restore Did Not Complete', so that didn't work.

As a last gasp effort, I tried to restore back to factory settings. But that didn't work as it got to a certain point in the restore and just stopped, not all that far into the procedure actually, it didn't even barely start up. There was just an error window with a red circle with an X in it and an OK button, so that didn't work.

I have a D drive on my system called RECOVERY which I realise now, stupidly reformatted, which I thought meant take back to a previous state which I assumed that would mean all the files on it would stay there, I was wrong, it wiped it completely. I used a piece of software to try to recover the files and it seemed to work, so I placed them back in to the D drive but they didnt' recover properly, they don't work.

I eventually got back on and got things working after two days of trying everything I could, but things arent' like they were before.

I am sorry for such a long post on this but I am at my wits end. I am not totally pc unsavvy, despite the stupid experience with the D drive, but this one has left me stumped. Is there any way I can recover properly, or redownload from anywhere, the files that I stupidly wiped from the D drive? It might help things along. Especially the CD Tools that the Recovery process CMD function says the computer no longer has.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 530 running on Windows Vista Home Basic 32 Bit.

Again, sorry for this long one, but if there are any other PC geniuses among you, I would apreciate anything that might help. I have also downloaded and reinstalled all the driver updates etc from the dell website via the service tag function but this has not helped.

The DVD burner drive in question is TSSTcorp SH222BB ATA Device. I have downloaded off their website and the Dell website, the driver for this but whenever I double click on the driver to open it, I am meant to look for a file but the software says NOT OPEN so I can't install the driver. Also, when I right-click on the driver itself, in Computer, there is nothing on the information panel. I made a screencap here of what I mean, but I can't post the link here as yet.

Is there anything I can do to fix or undo what I did?

Would getting or finding someone with the same computer exactly as me and copying their Recovery files from their drive and pasting them into my recovery D drive help with getting back what I lost?

Thank you for your time.

Yours hopefully, thepeoplespoet

thepeoplespoet, Oct 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question