Realtek AC97 Vista 6280 Driver not working

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Alex C, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Alex C

Alex C

Hiya, I just installed Vista and found that sound was not working. I have an Asus motherboard with onboard sound and even in xp I had to manually install the drivers so I went to the Realtek website and they had a vista version of the drivers. I installed that and now Realtek AC97 Audio is listed under device manager and it says it's working fine but I have NO SOUND. Also in the bottom right hand corner the little speaker icon has a red cross next to it, if I right click it and click playback devices it lists the device and says it's working fine but if i click on 'open volume mixer' it says 'no audio device is installed'.

Anyone got any ideas cus I'm giving it 1 day max then I'm going back to XP.

Alex C, Feb 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Alex C

Alex C

by the way I am using 32 bit Vista

Alex C, Feb 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Alex C

WAW8

Seeing as how you posted this yesterday, is your "one day max" up yet? Huh?

Word of advice: don't come to a Forum where all of the support is provided by people volunteering their time for free and then make threats about leaving. Just Leave!!

However ...

If you really DO want help witH Vista, show that you have the patience to work with us to identify and solve your problem.

That's going to take a LOT more than "one day max"!

WAW8, Feb 15, 2008
  4. Alex C

Alex C

I didn't mean any offence by saying I had one day max, I simply meant that I didn't want no sound for long so I was going to reinstall XP if I couldn't find a solution. However that's now out of the picture for now as for some reason (possibly scratches on disk) the XP cd won't boot up anyway and it won't let me install it in Vista (though that's possibly because it's an older version?). Anyway I'm very sorry if I caused offense, it wasn't my intention and yes I am still looking for a solution. Thanks.

Alex C, Feb 16, 2008
  5. Alex C

WAW8

OK, then ... what model is your ASUS motherboard? I have several ASUS systems and I frequent the ASUS site. Perhaps I can point you to somewhere in the ASUS forums where they've worked the problem you are having with the model motherboard you have.

WAW8, Feb 16, 2008
  6. Alex C

Alex C

The motherboard is a P5RD1-V, I'll be really greatful if you can shed any light on the matter thanks. ;)

Alex C, Feb 17, 2008
  7. Alex C

WAW8

WAW8, Feb 18, 2008
  8. Alex C

Alex C

Cheers, I'm on it.

Alex C, Feb 18, 2008
  9. Alex C

WAW8

Did you find anything useful on the ASUS forum? Would like to know how this resolved.

WAW8, Feb 20, 2008
  10. Alex C

malacron

WAW8...

I'm using the same MB as you have in your post .. ASUS A8N 32 SLI Deluxe and am having a similar problem as described in this post. I actually had my sound working under windows VISTA but am unable to get it to work under Windows 7..

Did you run into any problems during your install of Windows 7.. scouring the boards etc now for a fix. Odd thing is I can force sound through to the speakers with windows audio manager .. PLayback Devices > AC97 .... then Configure.. When I tell it 5.1 sound it will play sound from every speaker but no amount of toying with it seems to get sound from any other app on the PC.

malacron, Feb 1, 2009
  11. Alex C

WAW8

I'm not using onboard sound under Windows 7. I did notice that it did not detect all the hardware properly, so I had to install drivers myself for my sound card.

Windows 7 is based of Vista, so it uses Vista drivers, but if the Vista driver doesn't work, you can either wait a day or two for Windows 7 to catch up (it did that for me), or you'll have to live with the shortcomings until new Windows 7 drivers are released -- which could be the Fall of this year, or early next year, depending on who you believe.

WAW8, Feb 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question