Realtek AC97 New Vista Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by alex350r, Jan 31, 2007.

1. alex350r

alex350r

Hi all,

ive just installed vista today, its up and running ok on my pc. Im using a DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D motherboard.

By default Vista installed the default motherboard sound drivers, i removed these in order to use the latest realtek vista ones.

However after configuring it all for my surround sound speaker setup, it doesnt seem to run at full 5.1, sounds more like 2.1 and the sub woofer does not work.

The sub will output when you test the surround through vista but not when playing any mp3's.

I have tried the original driver that vista installed too with the same problem.

I guess its a problem with Realtek's driver, just wondering if anyone had the same issue?

Cheers! :D

Alex

alex350r, Jan 31, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. alex350r

yllsen

i installed vista and it didn't detect my sound card, realtek ac97. i have an ecs motherboard. what i did is plop the motherboard cd in the dvd drive, wait for the pc to detect the driver and it's done. sound works nicely.

yllsen, Feb 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. alex350r

kingofnexus

Depends whether u are running x64 of x86 versions of vista.

What i would try is in the sound options reselecting the realtek audio.

kingofnexus, Feb 16, 2007
  4. alex350r

mad200647

Man...I must tell you that i have the same motherboard and i also have a sound problem. Everything works fine after aprox. 5-15min. of listening. After that, the sound crashes (i hear like from an old radio with buzzes).

mad200647, Aug 2, 2007
  5. alex350r

WAW8

Since mp3s are only 2-channel, what you're attempting to do is upmix the 2-channel sound into 5.1 channel sound. You get all the channels in the test because it is forcing the upmixing as a byproduct of the test.

There's an option buried in the details of the Sound features in control panel that sets multichannel sound. If you go through the options, you'll find something about speaker spread, or sound spread, or something similar. It's a box you check. It's somewhere in the Advanced features.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm no longer using onboard sound, so I don't have the same control panel screens.

WAW8, Aug 3, 2007
  6. alex350r

SterlingSilver

I have a brand new Dell 530 inspiron with a gig of Ram, 2Ghz Intel Core duo.

Unfortunately, it also has Realtek audio on the motherboard.....

What is it about Audio drivers on Vista that is sooooo mysterious?

Realtek, in broken, English, say that theirs is passed by Microsoft, and essentially evade all questions; and won't state a date when their driver WILL run with - for example - Cakewalk's Sonar 6.22.

Why is it that drivers that CLAIM to be Vista -compliant, don't work with some software? Especially when that software ALSO claims to be Vista-compliant.......

You ask the driver makers, they say it's the software application supplier's fault and slam the door.

You ask the software application supplier, and they say that it's the driver's fault....

Microsoft, meanwhile, say very little.

And I haven't heard Dell excuse themselves for designing in chips that have part-functional drivers!

This whole thing looks like a Customer Relation joke to me.

Sir Clive Sinclair had fewer problems with his Spectrum...........

But what would I know?

... I'm just the mug who bought a system because it had all the right stickers on it from Microsoft and Dell.

SterlingSilver, Nov 4, 2007
  7. alex350r

SterlingSilver

Good job pharmacists don't treat their Customers the same way. After all, aspirin will fix a headache, some of the time. Strychnine will fix it, permanently, all of the time.....

SterlingSilver, Nov 8, 2007
  8. alex350r

cyclic

If it aint broke, tweak it until it is, then upgrade.

cyclic, Nov 8, 2007
  9. alex350r

SterlingSilver

Er,

the whole purpose of a PC is to allow ordinary consumers to make use of them. Drivers reputedly screen the consumer from all the difficult bits he/she doesn't want or need to know about. Few astronauts are rocket scientists.....but they need and use rockets.

Products (add-ins, applications, hardware and OS's) are sold on that basis.

Seems to me that the whole process is a house of cards (pci or otherwise) and due to suffer the wind of change via a backlash of consumer discontent.

No-one seems to be able to tell me why (for example) Sonar refuses to work.

Plenty tell me that the solution is to disable my on-board HD Audio and buy an add-in (PCI or USB) card.

None of them seems able to guarantee to me that any particular one will work, with EVERYTHING that I might choose to use, that is labelled "Vista Compliant"!

- if they could, then surely that would confirm that they understand why my current configuration WON'T work!!!

Experts?

I dohn fink so.

Maybe what we need is (a la Intel in the 90's) a consumer Board of Advisors to affirm (or deny) all applications for an "Approved Compliant" sticker.

Want the sticker? SHOW ME the goods arer fully functional.

I've basically been ripped off by MBA-wielding, powerpoint-presentation-happy new-era MBA's who haven't forgotten how to satisfy consumer demand.... THEY NEVER UNDERSTOOD IT OR CARED ABOUT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

Vista audio compliant?

HOGWASH.

Botched to make it work SOME of the time?

Oh the truth doth hurt.....

SterlingSilver, Nov 8, 2007
  10. alex350r

kingofnexus

I agree with you, companies these days care less and less about quality and costomers. They just want profits and make sure they give limited support so that there is no legal stand point upon which anyone can complain/sue. I am very angry that a component in my computer (tv card from hauppauge) doesn't have a 64bit driver. Instead a person created one in 10 minutes that actually functions flawlessly using reference drivers provided by the chipmakers of certian components of the boardfor free. This driver is not signed, and so I have to press f8 everytime I boot up. Yet the company wont release a signed driver for it saying 'it takes too much time and money to create one and demand is not high enough'. Something should be done about companies not providing adequate service for their products. Few drivers work without problems these days.

kingofnexus, Nov 9, 2007
  11. alex350r

jmoney3457

audio drivers (as of rightn now) even tho they state their vista capable are ALL (as in all brands) having problems w/ functioning properly in vista it seems..the short term solution is try and tweak the settings..the long term is hopefully vista sp1 (release is jan or so i think?) will smooth out alot of the audio issues:cool:

jmoney3457, Nov 10, 2007
  12. alex350r

cyclic

I find myself in complete agreement, well put.

cyclic, Nov 11, 2007
  13. alex350r

WAW8

To answer your question of "what is it about audio drivers ...?", MS decided to re-invent the hardware-accelerated audio interface for Vista. That's right! After years of audio drivers working flawlessly under XP, MS effectively BROKE accelerated audio under Vista.

For several months after Vista came out, there wasn't an audio card in the market that did accelerated audio under Vista. Then, slowly, the card manufacturers started cranking out new drivers -- many of which were Beta and only kind-of worked. I had to buy a new audio card (even though my existing card was only a year old) because the manufacturer wasn't releasing any Vista drivers.

Now, a year after Vista went RTM, there are non-beta audio drivers out there.

The video driver scene is the same picture, but in some cases, even worse. I have a two year old laptop that will NEVER have Aero-compliant drivers because Intel has decided NOT to write them -- period. Last I heard, UbiSoft, one of the biggest write of games for PCs, stated a while back that they have NO PLANS to upgrade many of their recent games to run on Vista.

So, will anyone (other than MS) be surprised when the sales of "seven" are even worse than those have been of Vista -- at least, until some initial period has passed and working non-beta drivers become available?

WAW8, Nov 12, 2007
  14. alex350r

SterlingSilver

Realtek sent me the URL for their latest beta Vista Driver for HD Audio today.

Anyone else having related problems might like to give it a try as well.

ftp://enduser:[email protected]/5512-Beta-Vista.zip

Most of the difficulties in getting anything useful at all from Sonar 6.2 remain.

SterlingSilver, Nov 16, 2007
  15. alex350r

SterlingSilver

Unless or until we Consumers adopt a Ralph Nader approach to our purchases, and positively (vociferously too) boycot all products sold that transpire to be of Non Merchantable Quality (won't do what they claimed they'd do) we all continue to lose.

It is reasonable for us all to post copies of letters we write to various suppliers complaining about the inadequacies in ther products. In fact there's a NEED for Dirty Washing to be aired in public.....

No need to worry about libel laws, provided all complaints are expressed as an OPINION based on the claims made in order to induce the purchase, a certain degree of freedom to express discontent always exists. But keep it civil!!!

Someone, somewhere (a government watchdog perhaps?) will THEN have the ammunition they need to CHANGE the situation.

I'm THOUROUGHLY fed up with being ripped of.

Example:

Dear XYZ Inc.,

I recently paid $200 for a copy of your latest software. You will know that the advertising on the box states that it will increase the length of my eyelashes by 70% at the touch of a mouse button. I must inform you that, in my opinion and experience, it FAILS to do that and I want my outlay refunded immediately.

I have sent a copy of this letter to the appropriate Public Online Forums so that if others have had similar issues with you, information on the extent of your behaviour may be collated.

Warmest regards,

A.N. Other

Unhappy Customer

SterlingSilver, Nov 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question