Really really bad problem...

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by Khm3r, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Khm3r

Khm3r

Specs: HP Pavillion m8100 n.

System: 32 bit

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5600*

Welll I have an HP Pavillion m8100n TV PC and a couple of months ago the computer froze and I restarted it but it gave me an error saying there was a boot disk error and I had no idea what to do about it...I recovered the computer but a week later same results..and now I tried to install Home Premium again and it's giving me errors like:

DRIVE_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and I have NOOO idea, what it means..and at the bottom with techincal information it says: *** STOP: 0X000000D1 (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFFA60012FC23E)

*** nvstor.sys - Address FFFFFA60012FC23E base at FFFFFA60012F6000, DateStamp 46671a38, and I have no idea what to do. And when I tried installing Vista it worked the first time...for like one day than it get all those errors I just mentioned..and in addition to all those bad problems, my recovery partition of the computer was deleted.......I need MAJOR help.

Help is GREATLY appreciated.

Khm3r, Aug 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Khm3r

WAW8

The nvstor.sys driver is a nvidia driver for hard drives. It may be RAID or SATA, I'm not sure.

The symptoms you're getting are indicative of a combination of failing drive, corrupted file system, corrupted OS installation.

When it crashed the first time and wouldn't boot, that was probably because something in the boot sequence got corrupted -- possibly the MBR, possibly the BCD.

As to what caused that, I experienced the same problem when Vista automatically updated my Nvidia Mobo SATA drivers to an OLDER version -- that's right, an OLDER version! I started getting siezures, crashes, and forced CHKDSKs upon reboot. I solved the problem by restoring the previous SATA drivers, but I had to use third-party tools to recover the files from my NTFS partitions. Since then, I have had Windows Update set to notify-only! Now, I make sure I NEVER install an nvidia SATA driver update. I get them only from the NForceHQ forum.

What I would recommend depends on your current state. DO you have a working system at present? If not, I presume that you have the ability to reinstall Vista from scratch, is that right?

Get back with some answers, and I'll provide some suggestions.

WAW8, Aug 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Khm3r

Khm3r

Oh my. Thanks a billion, i've posted in other forums and got NO response, thanks! :) Well right now my current state is that, the computer won't even boot. When I put in the disk for Vista, the green bars freeze and than lead to the blue screen with those errors, and without the CD, it says, "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" , what should I do??

Khm3r, Aug 23, 2008
  4. Khm3r

WAW8

You need to set your BIOS sequence to boot from CD. When that works, you will see a white text message against a black background indicating that you should press a key to boot from the CD/DVD. If you're not seeing that message, the BIOS is not attempting the boot and you need to change the sequence.

WAW8, Aug 24, 2008
  5. Khm3r

Khm3r

Ummm..how would I go about doing that?

Khm3r, Aug 24, 2008
  6. Khm3r

WAW8

When you boot your machine, you have to press a function key to get into the BIOS setup. It's typically F1, but it varies by machine, and I would have no way of knowing what the key sequence is for your machine.

Once in the BIOS setup, there is generally a Boot tab which allows you to set the sequence of boot devices. It generally defaults to the first hard drive. You want to change that to default to the first CD/DVD drive -- the one in which you would insert the boot media.

WAW8, Aug 24, 2008
  7. Khm3r

Khm3r

Well I went to setup, and went to the tab boot, and I went to boot device priority and I set 1st boot - CDROM Group, 2nd Boot Device, CDROM Group, 3rd Boot Device, Hard Drive Group, and 4th Network Group, But it's still giving me an error message. I have no idea what to do, HELP PLEASE!!

Khm3r, Aug 24, 2008
  8. Khm3r

WAW8

Set your boot priorities as follows:

1) first - CDROM group

2) second - hard drive

3) third and fourth - none

Then, be sure to have a bootable CD/DVD in the optical drive.

When you reboot, you should get that text message about pressing a key to boot from the CD.

If you get an error message instead, please post that here.

WAW8, Aug 25, 2008
  9. Khm3r

Khm3r

Well I did that, but it did the same results to my other Vista disc that was on the DVD, but than I switched to my other Vista disk on my CD-R, and it worked but the problem was, that Vista can't find the driver to install it on...

Khm3r, Aug 25, 2008
  10. Khm3r

WAW8

I'm guessing that the Pavilion came with Vista preloaded, right? I'm also guessing that, if it's a relatively new system, that the HDD interface is SATA, not PATA. If both of those are true, the problem you're running into is that when Vista boots, it is unable to see the SATA HDD because it doesn't have the Nvidia SATA drivers loaded.

Recovery and reinstall are very different processes. The first restores a machine using vendor-provided files, which contain the needed drivers, the OS files, and all the apps that came preinstalled on the box. When done, you have the system back in the same state as when you opened the box. The second requires that you provide all drivers needed to initially load the OS, as well as the OS installation media, and all application software.

Since you're doing the second. you will have to locate the SATA HDD drivers needed for your motherboard. If CD/DVD media came with the machine, they're probably on a CD or DVD. If not, you will have to determine which model motherboard you have, go to the Nvidia site, download the proper drivers, load them onto CD or USB stick, and the next time you boot to install Vista, press F6 to load the SATA drivers.

If this sounds like a lot of work -- it is!! Reinstalling an OS from scratch is not a simple or easy procedure. If your machine came with Vista preloaded, your best bet would be to contact the supplier and find out what they will demand in order to reinstall Vista for you.

WAW8, Aug 26, 2008
  11. Khm3r

Khm3r

Well I have no idea where to find the drivers...so could you help me find the files I need for NVIDIA GeForce 6150, thanks! :) for errrythang!! :)

Khm3r, Aug 26, 2008
  12. Khm3r

WAW8

Why not try going to the Nvidia site? Google for Nvidia drivers, it will provide the site address. Once there, go through the menus to select the OS and the video card. You will then be given a link to download the driver.

WAW8, Aug 27, 2008
  13. Khm3r

Khm3r

Whenever I try to download the drivers it gives me a exe. file, Should I just download that one? Or....

Khm3r, Aug 27, 2008
  14. Khm3r

WAW8

Yes. That's the Nvidia driver installer.

WAW8, Aug 27, 2008
  15. Khm3r

Khm3r

So to be clear, I just burn the exe. file on the CD and load it up to the computer and press F6?

Khm3r, Aug 29, 2008
  16. Khm3r

WAW8

You're getting several different things confused ...

When you install Vista, if your HDD is connected via SATA, you have to save the SATA HDD drivers to disk, press F6 during the install, and load the SATA drivers. But this is only for OS installation.

For video driver installation, it's different. You will be able to see the video using a video card without installing a driver because the generic drivers work. However, once Vista is up and running, you'll want to install drivers specific to the video card because they provide extra features beyond the generic driver.

In that case, once Vista is up an running, just double-click on the nvidia geforce driver file and it will install the video drivers for you. You don't need to burn the file to cd and insert it.

WAW8, Aug 29, 2008
  17. Khm3r

Khm3r

...I'm sorry for the troubles, I'm just new to all this and don't really know what to do, but how do you know if your HDD is connected via SATA? And what's an HDD or a SATA....?

Khm3r, Aug 29, 2008
  18. Khm3r

WAW8

PATA and SATA are two different kinds of hard drive interfaces. The first is often referred to as IDE, but that is incorrect because SATA can be either IDE or RAID. For more information, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to do some research on your own.

We try our best here to help folks resolve Vista problems, but we're not prepared to give training sessions in building and repairing computers from the ground up.

WAW8, Aug 31, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question