Real Adress for Shortcuts

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by Alejandrosv, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Alejandrosv

Alejandrosv

Hey, I’ve have a folder on my drive E: where I store several file types. I normally put a shortcut for it on my desktop for easy access. And also it becomes an easy way to access the E: drive. I just need to open the folder and the press the “UP” button and I’m on E:, it’s great.

Now on vista I have the same folder. But when I open it the address bar is not “e:\foldername\ but “c:\users\Alejandro\Desktop\foldername\”. In other words it’s the address for where the shortcut is placed. If you haven't noticed this, try it out and check if you know anyway to bypass this.

thanks.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">

Alejandrosv, Sep 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Alejandrosv

AmericanNightmare

I tried it,took my right to the designated folder, i created a blank folder in C: then an icon for the folder on my desktop and it went right to the blank folder. I tried it with users as well same result,program files same result.

I am not sure how you created the shortcut but it is obviously not directed to the proper folder no matter what you named it.

AmericanNightmare, Sep 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Alejandrosv

Alejandrosv

thanks for your reply, but the problem is not that the shortcut doesn't work. when i double click on it, it doesget me to the folder i try to. but when i wan to goup from there, i don't go to the folder that should be above it, but to the folder where the shortcut is placed. for example:

If the folder"folder2" is in"c:/folder1/", and i make a shortcut to the desktop "c:\users\Alejandro\Desktop", when i open the shortcut it opens a window and in the address bar it reads "c:\users\Alejandro\Desktop\folder2", the content of the folder is what it should, but if i want to go to "folder1" from there, in stead of being able to select the folder from the address bar (i've heard people calling it breadcrumb bar) i have to go back to c:\ and then the folder2.

i hope it is easier to understand now.

Alejandrosv, Sep 12, 2007
  4. Alejandrosv

kingofnexus

Ok, I dont get this problem, so I'll walk you through exactly how ive created this shortcut just to clarify what your doing.

So I go into my computer, c: drive.

Right click &gt; new &gt; folder

Named it "temp"

Right click temp folder and selected "Create Shortcut".

Dragged the new shortcut out of C: to my desktop.

Double Click the shortcut.

Now I have the address "Computer&gt;Local Disk (C:)&gt;temp&gt;" in the address bar.

Right?

kingofnexus, Sep 12, 2007
  5. Alejandrosv

AmericanNightmare

I see, yes i misunderstood what you were saying.I see kingofnexus has it under control though so yeah what he said.

AmericanNightmare, Sep 12, 2007
  6. Alejandrosv

Alejandrosv

Yes, i think that might work, i'll try it when i get back home. thanks. I normaly did it by draging it to the desktop with control+shift, so it creats a shortcut.

Alejandrosv, Sep 13, 2007
  7. Alejandrosv

cyclic

Curious it works exactly the same for me if I simply right click the folder and 'create shortcut' (send to desktop), then I click the shortcut Loction C:\folder an explorer window opens with than folder open and I can use the breadcrumbs in the address bar to navigate to the next level up in C:\ or access any folder in C:\ as shown in the left pane.

cyclic, Sep 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question