Ready Boost drive corrupt after rebooting

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by BugMeNot, Mar 20, 2008.

1. BugMeNot

BugMeNot

Every time I boot i get a "The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" error on the flash drive i use for ready boost.

Event viewer has: "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume H"

If I unplug the stick and plug it be in then it works fine but I don't want to have to do this every time I boot because it defeats the purpose of the .00000036392 seconds of time i save by using ready boost. :D

Reformatting and error checking the stick doesn't help, the problem keeps coming back.

im stumped!

BugMeNot, Mar 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. BugMeNot

kingofnexus

Did you run

chkdsk h: /f

in command prompt?

Also try a different USB port on your computer.

Another thing to do is check that readyboost service starts instantaneouly and not on delayed start. Type 'services' in start menu and press enter. Scroll down to 'readyboost' and make sure its set to 'automatic' in 'start up type' column. If not, right click 'properties' and change it to 'automatic'.

kingofnexus, Mar 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. BugMeNot

BugMeNot

chkdsk found tons of errors - but if i unplug it and put it back in chkdsk finds no errors--- odd

funny it only happens on rebooting-

anyway, gave up on it and used a different stick - seems to work now.

eh :rolleyes:

BugMeNot, Mar 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question