Re-install Vista home basic question please.

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by jmee2k9, Sep 27, 2010.

1. jmee2k9

jmee2k9

Hi all, im new here and im not too good with this kind of stuff.

Basicly what i want to know is the following:

I bought a laptop, an Acer Aspire 5315 from my mate (used) it was one of those pay monthly mobile broadband thing where you get the laptop free bla bla bla lol.

Any ways, he sold it to me, but it never came with any disc's (repair disc/Vista home basic)

And the hdd has 2 partitions ( Acer (C:33.3GB ) and DATA (D: 33.5GB) )

Is there a way, i can get the serial number from my version ( the installed version of vista) and get another installation cd/dvd so that i can do a clean re-install of Vista home basic WITHOUT spending any more money?

Sorry if im not making much sense.
    If you need to know more, please reply.
    Cheers.
    Jme.

jmee2k9, Sep 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. jmee2k9

WAW8

If the machine came preloaded with Vista (which it sounds like), the version has an OEM license, meaning, it belongs to that machine. In that case, the machine vendor is REQUIRED to provide a sticker containing a product key. This is usually attached to the case (generally on the bottom of a laptop), or it is stuck to a pamphlet of some kind that comes with the laptop. You should be able to use THAT product key to reinstall the same Vista.

Also, preinstalled machines from reputable suppliers (and Acer is one of those) are required to provide a way to restore the machine to its initial state. That usually means pressing a function key and reinstalling Vista to the hard drive from a (usually) hidden recovery partition on the drive. This is why machine vendors usually do NOT provide disks anymore. You would have to check the documentation (if you have any) or check with Acer to find out how to invoke the machine restore fundtion.

Actually, it probably has 3 or 4 partitions, with other ones hidden so they can't easily be seen.

Apart from contacting Acer, or reading the sticker on the machine, I know of no way to get the number you need to enter. The Product ID you see in Computer properties is NOT the number you enter.

As to an installation DVD, I know of no LEGAL way to get one for free.

However, if you contact Acer, they should be willing to either (1) tell you how to invoke the Vista restore function on your laptop, or (2) be willing to provide you a Restore CD at some nominal cost.

WAW8, Sep 27, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. jmee2k9

jmee2k9

Ok mate, thanks for the info.

jmee2k9, Sep 28, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question