Random Blue Screens of Death...

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by iceman2032, Feb 23, 2007.

1. iceman2032

Antrax

gonna bang my cd in tonight when I get home from work and see what Ive got. update ya later mate.

Its basicaly the windows repair feature that you got in XP, but with a few more tools. :)

Antrax, Feb 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. iceman2032

kingofnexus

WhenI looked at the repair features they weremainly for start up problems. Things like, Start up repair, Boot manger thingy, memory test amd other stuff that anyone who has used command prompt would know how implement without the helpfull menu.

One of my vista dvd's (dont know which build) had a Repair Installation option, which rewrote all system files and system programs and gutted your drivers. I'm not sure whether simply selecting 'Install' again would do the same thing, but it was telling me to back up files i wanted to keep, which is a bit odd, but could be just M$ covering itself for any possible failures.

kingofnexus, Feb 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. iceman2032

iceman2032

Well yesterday I submitted all my university applications and did my projects....so I found some free time today...I backed up my stuff and re-installed windows vista (clean installation)...so far no BSODs....and the fact that I got none during installation shows that its wasn't a hardware problem...

I guess kingofnexus was right after all...thanks man :)

iceman2032, Feb 26, 2007
  4. iceman2032

Antrax

ok guys, no repair option on my cd either, but found this...

Seems you need to install the WRE after vista.<H5>How to install WinRE on the hard disk. </H5>

Step 1: Choosing a partition to install WinRE

The hardest part about installing WinRE seems to be deciding where to install it. Thefollowing considerations should go into deciding which partition to choose (listed in the priority order):
    1. <LI>The partition should not be the same as the WindowsOS partition. This is so that you can boot into WinRE even if your OS partitionbecomes corrupt or inaccessible foranyreason. This helps maximize the chances that you would be able to boot into WinRE when your main Windows installation is in trouble.</LI><LI>The partition should be hidden so that users do not accidentally delete files or corrupt theWinRE installation in anyway. Microsoft has defined a special partition type for this specific purpose. On MBR disks, the partition should be assigned partition type 0x27. And on GPT disks, the partition should have the partition typeGUID: {DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC}.</LI><LI>The partition should not interfere with any advancedvolume management functionalities, such as dynamic volumes. Any hidden partitions after the Windows OS partition may interfere with dynamic volume creations. Therefore, the WinRE partition should be created before the Windows OS partition.</LI>

In the OPK and the WAIK, we have a couple of partition layout recommendations. These recommendations were madeby following the above considerations. These recommendations are:
    1. <LI>If the machine is not bitlocker enabled, then the partition should be ahidden recoverypartition allocated before the OS partition. It should be assigned type 0x27 on MBR disks and type {DE94BBA4-06D1-4D40-A16A-BFD50179D6AC} on GPT disks.The partition should be at least large enough to hold WinRE WIM, 1.5GB should be plenty for the base WinRE.</LI><LI>If the machine is bitlocker enabled, then the BDE partition (a.k.a. the system partition) can be used for WinRE installation.</LI>

Note:- If you just want to experiment with WinREwithout creating a separate partition for WinRE, you can chooseany visibledrive in Vista.

Step 2: Copying WinRE Files

For the purposes of this post, I am going to assume a WIM-based installation. If you want to install an expanded WinRE, please look at the OPKor the WAIK for appropriate documentation.

You need to copy the following two files to the root of the partition you chose in step 1 above.
    1. <LI>winre.wim (you can build a winre.wim using the installation media and the WAIK.</LI><LI>boot.sdi (you can find it in the WAIK, under C:\Program Files\Windows WAIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot)</LI>

Step 3: Configuring WinRE

To configure WinRE, you can use the SetAutoFailover.cmd script provided in the WAIK (under: C:\Program Files\Windows WAIK\Recovery). If you copied WinRE files on the D: in step 2 above, and assuming that D: is the first partition on the disk, you would use it as:

SetAutoFailover.cmd /target D: /wim /nohide

Note:- You need to run SetAutoFailover.cmd from an elevated command prompt. To open an elevated command prompt, search for cmd.exe in the search box off Start button, then right click on the cmd icon in search results and choose Run as administrator.

Step 4: Testing WinRE Installation

To test that WinRE is installed correctly on the hard disk - Restart your computer and press F8 very early during boot. If you press it early enough, you should see an Advanced boot menu. The firstitem on this menu should be "Repair your computer." Choosing this option will take you to WinRE.

Oh boy, who wants to try this first? :blink:

Antrax, Feb 26, 2007
  5. iceman2032

iceman2032

ROFL....I read that do and I'm like "holy!!!! I'd rather take millions of back up disks and not go through that!!! lol"

Almost 5 hours of uptime with no BSOD and counting....

iceman2032, Feb 26, 2007
  6. iceman2032

Antrax

LOL @ iceman2032

What ya reckon Kingofnexus, wanna go first? ;)

Antrax, Feb 26, 2007
  7. iceman2032

iceman2032

come on kinofnexus...you know you want to....look at all those tasty steps....just waiting there to be taken by you....lol

iceman2032, Feb 26, 2007
  8. iceman2032

kingofnexus

Lol! Ok i think i might give it a bash. Cant tonight, gotan open book paper to write and hand in tommorow, was given 2 weeks to do it, looks like its gonna be another late night for me! :ermm:

kingofnexus, Feb 27, 2007
  9. iceman2032

kingofnexus

Ok after lookinat it thourouhly this is only if you want the repair features that come on the Vista DVD saved onto the hardisk of the computer. Then if startup fails, you can go to a hidden partition where you then have the same options to repair your computer as you would with a disk. Its primarily for builders who want to make repairing their computer if something goes wrong easier or if they dont want to provide a Vista DVD.

Dissapointing really.

kingofnexus, Feb 28, 2007
  10. iceman2032

iceman2032

LMAO....microsoft....

iceman2032, Feb 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question