Random Blue Screens of Death...

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by iceman2032, Feb 23, 2007.

1. iceman2032

iceman2032

I have had Vista foralmost 2 months on my machine now. I recieved an RTM version of Vista before it was released. Everything worked fine even though my machine is very crappy...here are the specs:

Intel Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz
    512 MB of RAM
    40 GB of HD Space
    128 MB nVidia GeForce 5200FX video card

Now recently, during the past 5 days or so, I keep getting a blue screen of death in random intervals for no real reason! I'm just browsing through YouTube and BAM...I'm using notepad for something and BAM! It's driving me nuts! I've lost 2 projects because of this. And I have searched everywhere including the mighty google for an answer but only 3 people have a problem similar to mine, and they only have it when trying to boot the PC...

Now here are the spefic details of the problem. There message of the BSOD is:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The NT Initial Command Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xC0000001 (0xC0000000 0xC0000000)
    The system has been shut down.

And then it reboots. Sometimes I don't get this for 3 or 4 hours, sometimes I get it in 10 min intervals. The first time it happened was when I was deleting a downloaded folder...I pressed delete and it started deleting and suddenly it a pop up came up and said "desktop.ini is a system file...blah blah...you sure you wanna delete?!" and since from my experience in xp, I thought that that file is not important and just saves the layout and settings of a particular folder....so I said yes. And I got a BSOD and a reboot. Was I wrong?! Is desktop.ini a vital file these days?! :(

And I figured that this just can't be hardware...cause I've been working smoothly for a long time...I even uninstalled some of the vista updates I downloaded from microsoft...still didn't work...

Can anyone plz offer me solution?! I really don't have time these days to re-install this thing...(installing is a breeze in vista I know....but its the back up that takes me a looooong time...lol)

Any help is appericiated greatly!

iceman2032, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. iceman2032

kingofnexus

After reciving a message saying it was a system file you proceded to delete it without knowing what it was? Thats was your first problem. Also Xp is not Vista.

Anyway I highly doubt this has anything to do with that incedent. Sounds like a driver issue. Best bet is toboot tothe Vista DVD and repair the installation. This should reset the drivers and windows should automatically d/l and install the latest drivers for your hardware. Then for anything that doesn't auto install drivers you can make sure you are getting the latest driver versions.

Overclocking is another major cause of bluescreens. Make sure your running at stock speeds, then over clock again once everything is stable.

kingofnexus, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. iceman2032

iceman2032

Can you explain to me a bit more about overclocking?!

iceman2032, Feb 23, 2007
  4. iceman2032

kingofnexus

What exactly you want to know about it?

If you havent overclocked then it isn't the cause of the BSOD.

kingofnexus, Feb 23, 2007
  5. iceman2032

iceman2032

I have a general idea of what over clocking is. Just wanted to know how to revert it. The PC I have Vista on was my friend's originally. So I don't know if its overclocked. But the thing is, if the overclocking caused the problem, how come its been working for 2 years with xp and 2 months with vista?! So yah....I too believe its not overclocking...

Recently I decided to upgrade the driver for my graphics card. I downloaded the driver from nVidia and noticed taht nVidia doesn't support GeForce 5200FX in vista...so I downloaded a modded INF for it and kindda forcefully installed the driver...when you said that the drivers might cause the BSOD, I thought that maybe that's the cause...

So I went and rolled back the installation to the Microsoft's version of the driver which was installed with vista. And so far my computer hasn't rebooted...

I think that was the problem after all...but I dunno, it might rebbot again...last night it didn't reboot for 6 hours.

Thanks kingofnexus, I was really becoming hopeless...:)<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt width="80%"><DIV id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer style="DISPLAY: inline" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'468\'); onmouseover=\'AdMchaaaaaaaa=window.location;return; \'; onmouseout=AdMchaaaaaaaa=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'468\'); onmouseover=\'AdMchaaaaaaaa=window.location;return; \'; onmouseout=AdMchaaaaaaaa=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'468\'); onmouseover=\'AdMchaaaaaaaa=window.location;return; \'; onmouseout=AdMchaaaaaaaa=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl1_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'468\'); onmouseover=\'AdMchaaaaaaaa=window.location;return; \'; onmouseout=AdMchaaaaaaaa=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'468\'); onmouseover=\'AdMchaaaaaaaa=window.location;return; \'; onmouseout=AdMchaaaaaaaa=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'468\'); onmouseover=\'AdMchaaaaaaaa=window.location;return; \'; onmouseout=AdMc

iceman2032, Feb 23, 2007
  6. iceman2032

iceman2032

Sorry for the double post...

I managed to open memory.dmp file created by windows and this is what I got:

I thought maybe someone more expert can analyse this. Also, I was talking to my friend about this problem and he said he is sure that my power supply is messed up...could it be?!

iceman2032, Feb 24, 2007
  7. iceman2032

kingofnexus

I'm no expert but the fact that is was the kernal which crashed tells me its definately a driver problem. Repairing the installation does not erase any personal files. It will however clear out all drivers, so any drivers that need to be manually installed need to be installed again.

kingofnexus, Feb 24, 2007
  8. iceman2032

iceman2032

I THIS its the Winlogon process....and microsoft has a guide to this type of errors. I typed in !analyze -v in the debug thingy and it showed me this:

iceman2032, Feb 24, 2007
  9. iceman2032

Jason

Go to Control Panel > Problem Reports and solutions > and View the history and see what the problem was.

Jason, Feb 24, 2007
  10. iceman2032

iceman2032

Well, checking the history didn't tell me much more than what I already know...

This is really getting annoying...

Microsoft solution center keeps telling me to update my drivers for my video card but freakin nVidia doesn't support GeForce 5200...I'm gonna do a repair installation of vista as kingofnexus said...

I'll tell you about the results...

iceman2032, Feb 24, 2007
  11. iceman2032

iceman2032

Um...I thought this was gonna be similar to xp...but its not...lol...how the hell do you do a repair installation?!

iceman2032, Feb 24, 2007
  12. iceman2032

kingofnexus

Yeah just relised that it only an option for the Beta's/Release Canditates. Erm, I would try installin vista again. I would backup first though, dunno whether it will erase any files.

kingofnexus, Feb 25, 2007
  13. iceman2032

iceman2032

It will....I tried doing the repair thing and the only option I had was a clean installation.

But I wanna put that as my last hope...too busy to back everything up these days. I gotta fill my university applications and stuff and this problem is happening at a very bad time...lol...and I really don't think its software cause I did almost every possible thing I could do to fix it software-wise except restarting...

The other day I opened my case, noticed that the CPU heatsink was very hot (people with similar BSOD believed that the problem was overheating)...so I removed the heat sink, and while I picked it up, the CPU came with it....it was stuck with the thermal grease. Then I looked and saw that the thermal grease has dried up. I'll be buying thermal grease on Monday.

Right now I'm opened my case, for better air circulation and to check the temp of CPU upon the BSOD...and I've turned off alll the resource hog features of Vista to lower pressure on CPU...

iceman2032, Feb 25, 2007
  14. iceman2032

MafiaLord91

I have had issues with the thermal Paste on the CPU that caused boot failures and Blue Screens. You may want to get some Arctic Silver or even a low quality paste from radioshack. Also you may have a faulty stick of RAM, a bad Harddrive, or a virus. You may want to ask your friend if the thing was ever overclocked.

MafiaLord91, Feb 25, 2007
  15. iceman2032

iceman2032

Well I downloaded some motherboard monitor softwares....no its not overclocked.

Right now I have removed one of my RAMs (god vista with 256 MB sucks...lol) and I'll do the same with the other one in case the BSOD comes up.

I have scraped off the dried thermal paste from my CPU and my fan is actually working quiet nicely. I'm buying some paste tomorrow. I have never done this, so anyone know any good method of applying the paste?!

Anyways, if all these fail I'll have to go with a reinstall of windows...so wish me luck...lol

iceman2032, Feb 25, 2007
  16. iceman2032

Antrax

just enough paste to cover the die evenly nice and neat.

Antrax, Feb 25, 2007
  17. iceman2032

iceman2032

How thick should the layer be?!

iceman2032, Feb 25, 2007
  18. iceman2032

Antrax

Not too thick,enough so it wont sqidge out the sides and make a mess. its just to conduct the heat to the radiator.

Have you not got the The Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) It is the replacement for Recovery console?

Antrax, Feb 25, 2007
  19. iceman2032

iceman2032

No....what is it and what does it do exactly?! I goggled it and it said it is part of the OS in Vista RC1...but I haven't heard about it in RTM release...

iceman2032, Feb 25, 2007
  20. iceman2032

kingofnexus

Evenly spread thin layer, about 1 mm thick i would say. Like antrax said not so much as it goes everywhere, but you want it to work.

kingofnexus, Feb 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question