RAM use

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Psylosyfer, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Psylosyfer

Psylosyfer

Hi All;

Could anyone tell me what's normal for vista home premium? I am using over 500mbs

of ram just after booting up with nothing yet running other than "normal" startup processes. Is this normal?

Also it seems like it takes very little to get up near 1 gig of ram use! This seems excessive. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Psylosyfer, Aug 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Psylosyfer

AmericanNightmare

I would say 500MB is fairly normal. I will say this it seems a lot of folks are so intent on how much RAM is being used by Vista that they don't realize that the Vista OS actually uses your RAM instead of frittering it away like XP and earlier versions did. As to your system useing 1G after very little i'm not sure what you characterize by very little i do a lot of intensive multi-tasking and i fold on top of that and i almost never get above 40% usage or so.

Vista willdump back the memory it does not need,however if it needs 1G to runyour programs efficientlythat's what it will use and do it again more efficiently than any previous version.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Psylosyfer

MrMagic

The way Vista uses memory, this appears normal for a 1gb machine which is what I assume you have. I have 2gb of memory and Vista always seems to use just about 40-50% of total memory when running idle. When memory is demanded by an application, Vista will give it as much as it needs. So yes, your memory usage appears about normal to me.

MrMagic, Aug 2, 2007
  4. Psylosyfer

AmericanNightmare

Thank you for repeating what was already said that was very useful.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 2, 2007
  5. Psylosyfer

WAW8

To further confirm what AmericanNightmare has said, I have several different machines, each running a different version of Vista, each with a different amount of memory, and in all cases, Vista appears to use about 50% of the memory when idle.

So, I don't think there is really a single fixed amount of memory that Vista uses when idle.

WAW8, Aug 3, 2007
  6. Psylosyfer

Jason

The more memory it uses at idle the better..that means you have more cache which equals less hard drive reads.

IT'S A GOOD THING TO HAVE VISTA USE MEMORY!

Jason, Aug 3, 2007
  7. Psylosyfer

kingofnexus

One of us needs to make a new sticky emphising that point.

kingofnexus, Aug 3, 2007
  8. Psylosyfer

MrMagic

Sooorry, I was just answering his post from the original, before I saw yours.

MrMagic, Aug 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question