Quick Fix: Problem sharing files between Vista and XP machines

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Jason, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Jason

Jason

So I finally was able to replicate one of the Vista/XP file sharing problems our users are always posting about.

I was running XP in a virtual PC on my Vista Ultimate Desktop. I had everything in the network and sharing center checked to allow network discovery and file sharing and the network set to private.

The XP machine could ping the Vista one, but the Vista machine could not ping back the XP.

From my XP machine if I tried to connect to the Vista one it would give the "Access Denied....bla bla...Logon Denied" It wouldn't even prompt me for login credentials. So then I went to the Vista machine and turned "Password Protected Sharing" off..and now I can see all the shares on my Vista machine from the XP one.

For whatever reason XP does not like to prompt for login credentials..then again it would just be a Virtual PC thing.

Hopefully someone finds this helpful.

Jason, Jan 31, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question