Questions re: Inbound/Outbound Firewall Rules

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by rayres, Oct 10, 2012.

1. rayres

rayres

I am studying for my 70-620 exam (Installing and Configuring Vista) and have some questions about Firewall.

I am confused about inbound and outbound rules. I know that only Windows Firewall with Advanced Security is needed to make outbound rules. However, I am confused as to the definition of outbound and inbound rules.

I now that letting my friends use my FTP needs an inbound rule. But what I am confused on is uploading and downloading. If I upload something, does it always require an outbound rule only? What about downloading something? Is it always an inbound rule that is needed? Or do I need an outbound rule to be able to connect to the download source, and then an inbound rule to be able to actually download?

The sample question I struggle with is, "You want to block a file-sharing program that is being used on several computers running Windows Vista that you are responsible for managing. You know the ports that the program uses.

Which of the following steps could you take to ensure that users do not download or upload content using the program?"

The answer indicates that, "only Windows Firewall with Advanced Security can be configured to block outbound traffic. This is done by configuring an outbound rule. An inbound rule is also necessary to block downloads."

Thanks.

Rob

rayres, Oct 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question