Questions before Upgrading to Vista

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by jsodren, Jan 28, 2007.

1. jsodren

jsodren

Hello all, and I know a few of the questions I'm about to ask have been mentioned or alluded to, but I'm going to ask them anyways because I've read both yes and no answeres to my questions so I need more clerification since most of you guys know more then I do about this stuff...

My current 64bit PC has XP Home Edition (32bit) on drive 1, Vista beta (64bit) on drive2. My plans are to buy the upgrade version of Vista Ultimate and do a clean install, formating both drives in the process..

1.) Will the upgrade of Vista require the origonal XP cd? (HP doesn't package it with their systems anymore, its on a seperate hidden partition on drive 1) or will I just need the XP cd located on the back of my PC?

2.) When upgradeing, can I choose to just do a clean install over XP? (I've read yes and no's to this) or does the upgrade actually have to upgrade?

3.) When "upgrading" my XP is 32 bit, but I want to install the 64bit of Vista can I do this? (another reason I think a clean install is possible)

4.) When getting the option to install, the beta gave the option to format drives in preperation for install. If I do that to drive 2 (vista beta) will it get arid of the "dual Boot" menu? If not, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks much for your time and answeres! :)

jsodren, Jan 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. jsodren

blackhat

1) I'm not sure, vista installs over the exsisting windows folder, it may need the xp cd

2) you can't do clean install, you always have to install windows xp first

4) you can only start the upgrade within windows XP, so you probably can't format drives.

blackhat, Jan 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. jsodren

jsodren

Okay, thats as I sorta feared. Looks like I'll have to be purchasing the Standard Vista Ultimate, not the upgrade. :(

jsodren, Jan 28, 2007
  4. jsodren

Tha*Lunat!k

1) I know for past "upgrade" versions of Windows you needed only to point the new OS installation to the i386 folder on the previous OS disc, after which it would proceed without asking again. I don't know if this is the case with Vista, but if it is you may be able to use the method I've used before whereby you copy the i386 folder to a disc somewhere and point the new installation to it when asked.

2) I don't know if it'll let you wipe the prior installation entirely, but I do know you can do a clean install to another drive. If you happen to have a second drive, or perhaps even a separate partition appearing as another drive, you could load up the installation from within your XP install and choose to set up Windows on the other (and presumably empty) drive.

3) Not sure on this one.

4) Again, not entirely sure.

Tha*Lunat!k, Jan 28, 2007
  5. jsodren

jsodren

Thanks much, I appreciate all the help guys.

jsodren, Jan 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question