Questions about Guest account

Discussion in 'Security' started by pcnerd, May 27, 2011.

1. pcnerd

pcnerd

I know what you are going to say. Don't use the Guest account. It is not secure. I live by myself. I'm the only one using the PC. Since the Guest account has fewer privileges than the standard account, it would seem to be more secure. I've been using the Guest account for a while & I haven't had any problems. Can someone remotely get on my PC while I'm using the Guest account & install a virus or steal information? Can someone remotely get on my PC while I'm using a standard account & install a virus or steal information? I've searched the internet for information about Guest versus Standard & all I've found so far is that everybody states that the Guest account isn't secure, so don't use it. I haven't found a website that compares the Guest account to the Standard account with regard to which is more secure or less secure. I can see the insecurity of using the Guest account if other people have access to my PC, but I'm the only one that uses it. If other people had access to my PC, it wouldn't really matter which account I'm using. If someone cannot remotely access my PC while I'm using the Guest account, but they can while I'm using the Standard account, then I'd rather use the Guest account. So, the bottom line is, which is more secure from remote attacks, the Guest account or the Standard account?

I have an external desktop hard drive plugged into a docking station. I use it to back up my Documents folder. Recently, I tried to open the backup & restore wizard in the Guest account & couldn't do it. I assume that is one of the limitations of the Guest account, but it shouldn't be. No matter what user account one is using, it is always a good idea to back up the Documents folder. So, if I bought a 3rd party backup program, would I be able to use it to back up my Documents folder in the Guest account or would I have the same problem?

Thank you.
    David

pcnerd, May 27, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. pcnerd

WAW8

You've already posted this once ... and complained already about the lack of response.

We can't answer questions about some anonymous "third party backup program"! If you want answers on a particular app, you need to contact the app vendor or see if they have a support site.

WAW8, May 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question