Public Folder & Network Not Accessible

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by johnmont, Mar 25, 2008.

1. johnmont

johnmont

Okay, I am pretty computer savvy, but I am stuck...I have 2 vista machines, 1 is in spanish the other in english, but I am bilingual so no probs. Set up my wireless network, did all the appropriate file sharing things, etc...now my spanish laptop will see the other laptop but can't access it in any way. The english laptop will see, access and read the public and media sharing files, but cannot access the \\johnmont\public, and it reads ...is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact administrator..yadahyadah. windows cannot find the network path...

so i tried to go to network and go to properties of the public folder, and it will not let me change anything, and the name portion of it, as well as the share buttonare not accessible either...so permissions and such are out of the question too...

so here I am stuck with being able to read another computer's public folder andwindowsmedia share folderand not being able to read or share my own. My media sharing icon is not accesible from the other computer, but I can see it on my own, very weird, but when I enable media sharing, my folder shows up on the spanish laptop as "unknown user"

any thoughts? I am about to reformat the whole damn thing...thanks.

johnmont, Mar 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. johnmont

WAW8

You can certainly reformat, although that might not fix anything, but before you do that, take a look through the pinned posts we have here dealing with network connectivity problems.

WAW8, Mar 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question