Programs stop executing

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by tevans95, Sep 20, 2010.

1. tevans95

tevans95

Every now and then my computer just stops execuiting programs and Taskmanager and other services stop responding when I tell them to do something.

What is going on because I don't like having to reboot everytime this happens.

Tevans95

tevans95, Sep 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. tevans95

WAW8

There's no simple, one-click answer or solution to this.

There are several very different possible causes:
    1) Malware that kicks in and takes over the PC
    2) Antivirus (AV) definition updating -- that kicks in and takes over the PC
    3) Background process that kicks in and takes over the PC

I've encountered the second myself using ESET NOD32 with Win7. I used ESET for years, but with Win7, it would autolaunch and lock up the PC for several minutes -- several times a day. Even after I turned off automatic definition update, it would still do this. I was able to confirm by removing it -- after that, my lockups stopped happening.

So, you might try disabling or removing your AV product (disconnect from the Internet first!) to see if that helps.

Malware can be easily checked by downloading and installing MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. I've personally found it to do the best job of ALL products in detecting and removing malware.

As to the third, you will have to open MSCONFIG, go to the Startup Tab, uncheck all the startup items, reboot -- and then see if the problem returns. IF it doesn't, you will then have to go through re-enabling each startup item, one at a time, to see which one is the problem. IF it does return with ALL the startup items disabled, then none of them are at fault.

WAW8, Sep 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. tevans95

tevans95

What you have told me makes me think that I put it out as saying that programs don't execute at start up. When my computer is left on for a day or two these problems then arise.

The only anti spyware I have active is PCtools Spyware doctor with Anit virus which tells me when updates are finished and that doesn't appear to cause the problem.

I have already gone through startup items and limited them to the ones I need and have about the default severices running as well.

Tevans95

tevans95, Sep 20, 2010
  4. tevans95

WAW8

If it only happens after the computer is left on for a while, that implies the following:
    1) Heat-related problem
    2) Memory leaks

You would probably notice the first as the PC would get hotter than usual.

As to the second, you could try downloading and burning an Ubuntu 10.04 CD, booting from it, and running the memtest 86+ memory test. But, it's unlikely it will find anything.

The only other suggestion that comes to mind is to go through disabling your startup items -- to see if any of them are the culprit.

WAW8, Sep 21, 2010
  5. tevans95

tevans95

Ok so how would I check to see if this is a heat related problem. This is a desktop so it is a little harder to feel the computer get hot. I will try going through start up even though I find it to be a bit confusing. The only other culprit I think is the Norton internet security that I only have partly active because Winword.exe requests virus scans from it and I am to lazy to uninstal it.

Tevans95

tevans95, Sep 21, 2010
  6. tevans95

WAW8

Sorry, for some reason, I thought this was a laptop. One app I know of that is often able to report on chip temps is SpeedFan. You can download it for free from their website. But, since it is a desktop, it's unlikely you are having heat-related issues.

While it COULD be NIS, I removed ESET and replaced it with Norton AV 2010 because ESET was locking up my PC on a frequent basis. Norton has shown none of those problems. But, I am using the AV, not the full IS product.

WAW8, Sep 21, 2010
  7. tevans95

tevans95

I guess it could be the Norton because most of its services are diabled so when it tries to do an action it locks up the computer unless another program that is already open asks to have another program open. I guess I fill just uninstal Norton from my computer. It only lets me use word, but that is because word thinks is needs to have everything scanned by Norton, no Norton no word problem.

Wait also what is a memory leak? I just have never really heard of that really or known that to happen to me.

Tevans95

tevans95, Sep 21, 2010
  8. tevans95

tevans95

Oh and also I am seeing a increase in Processes that I can't kill. Like Ati2evxx.exe (An ATI Graphics Card process) Taskeng.exe, Winlogon, and csrss.exe. Also how many Svchost.exe show be running I have like 11 running. This might be a memory leak if it causes .exe files to run mulitple times.

tevans95, Sep 21, 2010
  9. tevans95

tevans95

If it is a memory leak what software should I use to detect it?

tevans95, Sep 21, 2010
  10. tevans95

WAW8

Don't know of any way to detect that. It's the situation where an improperly coded process fails to release all its memory when it finishes, so over time, the available memory starts diminishing until eventually, you run out of usable memory.

If the available memory got too low, you would start to experience paging where disk is used for memory -- and that would seriously slow down or halt the machine.

As for processes running, I just checked my PC and I have about eleven svchost processes running, as well -- and my CPU usage is hovering in the single-decimal range, meaning, I'm encountering no slow down at all.

Matter of fact, all told, I currently have 63 processes running, with no noticeable effect on real-time performance or responsiveness.

If you're looking at task manager, consider leaving it open, with Show processes from all users checked, sorting the display by CPU usage. Next time the system freezes, look at what's at the top of the CPU usage list.

WAW8, Sep 22, 2010
  11. tevans95

tevans95

I don't think that it is linked to CPU useage because the CPU tends to stay bellow t10% when this happens. But oddly enough the process that takes up the most RAM is svchost.exe at about 89,604 k More than the other runs running. The next closest is iexplore.exe with 61,536 k

Is there any sevice or registry entry that is connected to this or should I just uninstal the Norton software?

tevans95, Sep 22, 2010
  12. tevans95

tevans95

If anything I think that schost.exe is having a memory leak. It took up even more RAM over the last few hours. Also, is svchost.exe the biggest memory user on your computer?

After looking at the CPU useage for a little bit there are no processes that take up an increadably high amount of processing power. I think it is linked to a service or registry entry that has gone bad or just the unused Norton security.

Tevans95

tevans95, Sep 22, 2010
  13. tevans95

tevans95

Alphabetical Process list:

aim.exe, alg.exe, AppleMobileDeviceService.exe, Appsvc32.exe, aspnet_state.exe, audiodg.exe, BDTUpdateService.exe, capiws.exe, ccSvchst.exe, csrss.exe (x3), dem.exe, Dyntray.exe*, DynupSvc.exe*, ehmsas.exe, ehtray.exe, explorer.exe, FGuard.exe, iashost.exe, iexplore.exe (x2 [odd because I only have one window/tab open]), logon.scr, LogonUI.exe, lsass.exe, lsm.exe, mDNSResponder.exe, pctsAuxs.exe^, pctsSvc.exe^, PWRISOVM.exe, rdpclip.exe **, Regmech.exe^, rundll32.exe, services.exe, SLsvc.exe, smss.exe, SMSvcHost.exe, spoolsv.exe, SSMonitor.exe, StartManSvc.exe, svchost.exe (x11), symlcsvs.exe, System, System Idle Process, Taskeng.exe (x2), TFService^, TrustedInstaller.exe, Unsecapp.exe, wininit.exe, winlogon.exe (x2), WmiPrvSE.exe

* Dyn processes are used to enable remote desktop connection outside of local network
    ^ PCTools software
    ** Remote desktop connection software

In total about 66 Processes are listed here.

Hope this helps, also when I hit the issue again (I rebooted) I will list the processes again.

Tevans95

tevans95, Sep 22, 2010
  14. tevans95

WAW8

As I mentioned earlier, I have 60-some processes running at any one time. So, your number is not out of normal range.

SVCHost is a generic process for executing stuff from DLLs. Every time one of those guys needs something to run, another SVCHost process gets created. So, it's not surprising that there are multiple versions of these around and that they use up considerable memory and/or CPU when they're running.

If it's easy to reinstall, you could uninstall Norton and see what happens. Just be sure to be, and stay, disconnected from the Internet while this is happening. Would hate to see your machine infected simply because you're trying to troubleshoot it.

As to your process list, sorry, but I don't have the resources to run down the purpose of each and every process I don't recognize. Google is your "friend" in this. It will generally tell you what parent app uses a particular process.

Also, as to which processes to disable, a good source of process tuning in general is the BlackViper.com website. They have suggested process lists for a variety of OSs. Using those lists will help you "tune" your PC to improve its performance.

WAW8, Sep 22, 2010
  15. tevans95

tevans95

Norton is not my primary Internet security. I use PCTools Spyware Doctor with Anti virus. So my computer is not at risk. The only problem the Norton uninstal gave me was it freezin after the bar reached the end.

tevans95, Sep 22, 2010
  16. tevans95

tevans95

Well Uninstaling Norton appears to have done it, well at this time Winword.exe opens without it now which is great. But the final test is to come but these issues only really started happening after I stopped using the Norton software with all of its services running.

Tevans95

I will call this thread answered after my computer makes it a day or two without the problem appearing agian.

tevans95, Sep 23, 2010
  17. tevans95

tevans95

Ok so the first issue that my computer came into after this was explore.exe going into a perminate apphangb1 type error. Meaning that no matter how many times I got explore.exe to restart it still had that error.

When I told the computer to shut down it said that Program Manager (not responding) was still active. What is that? A feature Microsoft put in to control programs or is it linked to something else?

tevans95, Sep 24, 2010
  18. tevans95

WAW8

Norton, in fact Symantec products in general, have a long and nasty history of not uninstalling cleanly.

You should go to the Symantec site and download the Norton Removal Tool (NRT) and run it.

Below is a link to the MajorGeeks site for that tool:

http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html

WAW8, Sep 24, 2010
  19. tevans95

tevans95

That is what I used to get rid of it but it sort of froze and then explore also got messed up. I will try and use that tool again though.

Tevans95

tevans95, Sep 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question