Programs crashing on startup

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by blackmilk, Sep 11, 2010.

1. blackmilk

blackmilk

Hi,

I hope you guys can help me.
    I tried running Damn NFO Viewer today and it crashed immediately ("Damn NFO Viewer has stopped working"). Then I tried Media Player Classic and the same thing happened. Other programs are working just fine (for example WMP can play the same movie MPC fails to).

I remember the Damn NFO Viewer crash happened to me once and I managed to solve it somehow, can't remember how tho. I tried a reset, but that didn't help. Then I tried uninstalling DNV, but the uninstaller crashed as well (same startup error). I downloaded a new DNV installer, but it also crashed, so I'm kind of at a dead end here. I can't even get rid of the faulty program.

It's pretty obvious that it's not just DNV and MPC that are causing problems. It's something that's preventing them from running, but I have no idea what it is or why it's doing that. I recently uninstalled my Comodo FW and switched to the Windows built-in FW. Could this be it? I added exceptions for both DNV and MPC, to no avail.

Help?

Thanks,
    David

blackmilk, Sep 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. blackmilk

WAW8

I believe these are both XP-era apps. Have they run before? Or have they crashed every since you tried using them?

If the latter, try installing and running in XP compatibility mode. If that doesn't work, they may simply just not run under Vista.

WAW8, Sep 12, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. blackmilk

blackmilk

Hi WAW8,

Thank you for your reply.
    These programs were working just fine. I don't know what happened, but now they don't. Also, I noticed that MPC doesn't crash when I run it (that is running mplayerc.exe directly), but it does so when I try loading a movie file into it. I also tried running these programs in XP compatibility mode, but it didn't help. I remember DNV crashing the same way it is now once before and I managed to fix it somehow, but I can't recall how or what was causing the crashes.

Also it might be imperative to say that I have another laptop running the same op system and these programs are running just fine.

Thanks for your help,
    David

blackmilk, Sep 12, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question