Product validation warning on original install.

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Nenene, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Nenene

Nenene

I'm going to bet I already now the answer to this one but I'm going to give it a try again.

In 2008 I bought a new HP DV9600 laptop with WinVista Ultimate installed from Circuit City A year later I installed Ubuntu on the 2nd physical hard drive running a dual boot Linux/Windows system.

Until 2 months ago I never had a problem keeping the system and registery clean. Then after a routine system maint including defrag and registry cleaning WinVU did a series of updates. About a month ago on boot I received a product activation code error and Windows attempted to diag the problem only reporting that my version of windows was not genuine and to enter the product key (on the bottom of the computer) which I did. That product key was not accepted and windows gave me the message not a genuine version of windows. Calls to Microsoft said the do not support OEM Windows installs. HP said to repair the system from the recovery partition on the 1st drive. With that done the system seem to be normal until a couple of days ago when after an update the same product validation warning came up and a request from MSoft to check the system, via their validations servers is my guess. It failed to return any results at all after several tries.

After following instructions from the MSoft knowledgebase to reactivate my WinVU I used a set of utilities to extract the product key from the registry and found the product key in the registry does not match the one on the bottom of the computer. This is an original computer so they should have matched. Searching the internet turned up several articles about HP using a single master install for a large number of computers at the same time then just placing a random label on the bottom of the computers. Seems it was a prevalent practice at HP, Dell and others. Labels with keys that didn't match the actual installed version. The upshot is if the user ever has to re-install he would run into a product activation warning at some point.

Next go around was to install from the recovery CDs made from the laptop when I got it. After the install and all the updates finished I ran into the same problem. Both MSoft and HP acknowledge the problem however HP no longer supports this model.

As of this morning Widows reports a new activation error, SL08-080. All I can find out about this is that it is a software patch installed by some programs but I don't have any idea what it does. I haven't installed anything except my Legacy App and VLC Media player. So I called MSoft this morning gave them my product key and they said it was valid but it was an OEM key and they didn't support it, Seems I've heard that before. They acknowledged the problem but their only suggestion was to buy and install a fresh Win7 as Vista isn't anymore.. Being disabled I can't afford to buy an original Win7 so I thought this forum might have an answer. At this point the only reason I need windows is for legacy paint and draw apps that won't run under WINE the windows API for Linux so an answer is fairly important.

A reminder, this is a valid OEM windows install on an HP laptop

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for any help

Nenene

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    Nenene, Aug 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Nenene

WAW8

I wish I had something encouraging to tell you -- but I don't. The mismatching of printed keys and actual OEM keys, as you have discovered, is not unusual. And, the refusal of MS to support OEM installs is not unusual, either. IT doesn't help that Circuit City is long-gone.

There have been other reports of PCs (running Win7) suddenly becoming deactivated as well. I've attached a link below to the MS forum on Win7 validation issues. Perhaps you'll find something in there that will be helpful in resetting your activation status:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/threads

WAW8, Aug 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Nenene

Nenene

Thanks WAW. In one respect I'm glad to here that others are having the same problems. On the other hand you can see why I prefer Linux to Windoze.

Nenene, Aug 8, 2011
  4. Nenene

HastaLaVista1

I had the same problem, I accidentally fixed it by typing in random numbers when I got angry, and it worked...guess the chance of that working are kind of like winning in the lottery though.

HastaLaVista1, Apr 21, 2012
  5. Nenene

WAW8

Well, if you guessed a working key, that WILL work -- until the person who REALLY has that key installs, reinstalls, or attempts to revalidate that key. It will then fail (for them) and if they call MS to get that fixed, MS will blacklist that key and issue them a NEW one -- and your guessed key will then be deactivated next time you connect to the Internet (because Windows OS's periodically check with MS to revalidate the keys).

So, your solution is temporary, at best.

WAW8, Apr 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question