Problems with Build 5308

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by tomallen35, May 17, 2006.

1. tomallen35

tomallen35

I tried yesterday to install 5308 (the latest build i can get hold of through my msdn subscription) on a logicalpartition (dual booting withMCE 05), and it failed, giving me the "stop" BSOD that a lot of people seem to be getting. I tried installing it by booting to the dvd, but when after loading my sata driver, it still refused to find the drive.

I've come to the conclusion that its not going to work (or is probably more hassle than its worth), so i'm going to hold fire and wait for a later build to hit msdn. Anyways, my question is this:

How can i stop the vista boot loader menu from my current install of xp mce? (it defaults to trying to continue the installation of vista which then gives me the BSOD). I can still get into MCE, but i have to be quick on the keyboard during boot.

my system incase its of any use/interest:
    GA-7N400 Pro2 (rev1) w/Silcon image 3112 SATA controller
    Athlon 2800+
    ATI Radeon 9600xt
    1.5GB DDR400 (dual channel: 2x512MB+2x256MB)
    200GB WD 7200rpm SATA

tomallen35, May 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. tomallen35

Synapse

I don't think it's possible, though I would try deleting all the boot files left on your hard disk. They'll come with a .bak extension in the root of your drives.

Synapse, May 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. tomallen35

Jason

Once vista puts its boot loader on the drive, your screwed. The only way to fix it or get the old one back is to repair your MCE install w/ the cd or try and use the recovery console on the cd to write a new boot sector.

Jason, May 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question