problems after i removed xp in a dual boot

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by hacksaw, Oct 30, 2008.

1. hacksaw

hacksaw

i have 2 500gb HD sata i had xp installed first on hd1 and then i decided to install vista on hd2. and this worked great for 6months. so i decide to remove the xp from hd1 and just go with vista.

now i learned that vista put bootmngr on xp hd so i couldnt access vista anymore.

so i installed a new vista on the old xphd1, hoping i could save my stuff on the vista install on hd2

and it worked. now my problem is i want to format the old vista install (hd2) but it wont let me since its still a system disk

i tried paragon partuion program but it didnt work. and diskpart didnt allow me to wipe a system disk either. any suggestions?

hacksaw, Oct 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. hacksaw

VistaRocks

If i remember right, the disk will show you your drives and let you format whatever one you want. If that's what your trying to do.

VistaRocks, Oct 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. hacksaw

hacksaw

i am trying to clean my old vista install but its active and system disk so i cant remove 80gb system files on it :(

hacksaw, Oct 30, 2008
  4. hacksaw

WAW8

From your comments, it looks like Vista is booting from the first volume (Vista #1) but actually running from the second volume (Vista #2). A way to fix this is the following:

1) disconnect the second drive

2) Boot from the Vista DVD

3) Run startup repair

4) Reboot from the hard drive

If you get a selection menu, then do the following:

1) Choose each of the menu options and note which one works -- only one should work

2) Download and install EasyBCD or VistaBootPro

3) Relaunch Vista, and the app, and edit the Vista boot loader menu to remove the option that doesn't work

4) Reboot

You should then go directly into Vista without a selection menu.

If that works, reconnect the second drive and restart Vista. You should now be able to format the partitions on the second drive.

WAW8, Oct 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question