Problem with network connection after computer has been off.

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Gibbah, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Gibbah

Gibbah

Hi,

After my Vista Home Premium computer has been off during the night I have to de-activate and activate the network connection a couple of times (1-3) before I get a connection to the network and internet. Sometimes I get a connection but it is very slow and unstable (very high ping and all pings does not get through), and then suddenly after a couple of de-activations and activations of the network connection I get perfect connection and after that everything works fine after that until the next time I start up the computer.

My network consists of one XPand one Vista Home Premium machine connected to a D-link router. The XP machine gets excellent connection directly after startup.

Doesanyone recognize this problem?¨

Best regards,

Gibbah

Gibbah, Nov 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Gibbah

Jason

What is your router model? It sounds like a compatibility issue w/ IP V6 or a number of new Vista IP stacks, is this over a wireless or wired Lan?

Jason, Nov 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Gibbah

Gibbah

It is aD-link DIR-100and usesIP v4 over wired LAN.

Gibbah, Nov 13, 2007
  4. Gibbah

cyclic

Have you had your line tested by the ISP ? you should get a constant (fairly) connection rate, you don't sound like your getting a good service from your provider, that's probably not the whole issue but it's a start if we can get a proper line rate out of the ISP, as a matter of interest who is it and what rate are you supposed to get as opposed to that you actually get.?

cyclic, Nov 14, 2007
  5. Gibbah

Jason

The fact that after a few tries and a period of time it gets faster sounds like a problem resolving an IP from the router. Have you done any ipconfig /all from the cmd prompt when this problem is happening, is there an IP? Is there an IP when it is "disconnected" not physically but disconnected from the internet?

Jason, Nov 14, 2007
  6. Gibbah

Jason

Update: I checked DLinks site and I cant seem to find your router on their list of compatible vista routers.

http://www.dlink.com/products/vista-support/Looks like the DIR-130 is but not the DIR-100

Either way make sure you get the latest firmware update for the router from Dlink and then see what happens with the problem.

Jason, Nov 14, 2007
  7. Gibbah

Gibbah

Thanks for your replies.

I have good connection to my ISP and I get the bandwidth I am suppose to have.

My XP computer connects right away when I start it up so it is only the Vista computer that has problems.

The Vista computer has an IP number before, during and after I have trubble connecting.

One of the updates in the latest firmware (the one I use) for the DIR-100 is described like this:
    "Supports “works with Microsoft Vista” logo requirement"
    This made me think that it supported Vista.

When I connected directly to the internet without the router it all works well, so I guess it is a router problem.

Gibbah, Nov 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question