Problem with my graphics card?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mirimiri, Jun 21, 2012.

1. mirimiri

mirimiri

Hello,

This is my problem: My computer has graphics interference while booting up and will not boot any further past the "windows" image screen. It just goes black. The only way I can get it to boot is to open in safe mode and disable/uninstall the graphics card. Then it will boot properly but the graphics are "safe mode" style - big, blurry.

I've attached a picture of the screen at startup.

This problem occurred when I started it up one afternoon. It might have been after the windows update kb2677070 but when I did the system restore the problem wasn't fixed.

Here are some things I've tried:

- Doing a System Restore.
    - Completely uninstalling (removing all files following an online guide) the driver and reinstalling a clean new version from NVIDIA's website.
    -Repeating the process but installing older drivers.
    -disabling programs that start with windows
    -reseating the graphics card (again, following instructions carefully)

I installed a new CPU fan a few months ago because my old one had broken. It was broken for quite a long time , would run very noisily, and it's possible the computer overheated during this time. However I experienced much better performance and no problems after fitting the new fan.

My power lead also gets very hot after about half an hour of being plugged in; however this display problem occurs even when the computer isn't connected to the power lead.

My graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS and I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit. If anyone has any ideas what the problem might be, I would be VERY grateful!

If you need any more information please let me know. I'm a relative beginner so might need some prompting for vital information I haven't provided....sorry...

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this,

Miri

Attached Files:

mirimiri, Jun 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. mirimiri

ClarkTNTien

Cool! You have NVIDIA?! That is awesome.

I wish I had NVIDIA... they are the top graphics card company in the world. ATI is getting good, however they are too new. I believe you made the right choice since NVIDIA is old school and has been around forever. Anyways, the only thing I could think of is that you might not have pressed the card into the slot firmly. Did you put it in the graphics slot? It has been a while, however, it needs to be down all the way. [and in the right slot]. You might be experiencing interferences from another elecric source if that is the picture youare showing me. Anyways, sounds like you got a booty of a system. Good luck!hehe Seriously, let me know how it goes. Thanks.

ClarkTNTien, Jul 3, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. mirimiri

ClarkTNTien

By the way... I would also suggest making sure there is no metallic stuff in between the slots or on the chip surface that could cross stransger I mant transfer electricity between nodes. What I am saying is make sure you have a clean surface

ClarkTNTien, Jul 3, 2012
  4. mirimiri

gordie

Mirimiri

No shorts inside the case such your power cables for your devices I've had happen to me is there onboard video you may try pulling the video card and see if the onboard works might be your the card itself

Good luck!!

gordie, Jul 4, 2012
  5. mirimiri

garrettturner18

the gcs dead the lines show ti

garrettturner18, Nov 10, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question