Problem in vista after linux installation

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by capricorn, Feb 2, 2008.

1. capricorn

capricorn

Hi !

I have installed fedora 8 as dual boot with Windows vista. I can use vista but there is some problems in running application. My Gadgets are not working properly , similarly when i open HP assistant it only show me half window. so these kinds of problem exist. Also i cannot run recovery from f11 button. So the thing is i use linux for one of my project so i cannot remove it .

Kindly help me out in this issue.

Regards.

capricorn, Feb 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. capricorn

WAW8

Sorry to be asking "simple" questions but I don't have any idea how much you know about multiple OS's on the same box.

I haven't installed Fedora (live CD won't boot for me), but I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 in a multi-boot environment (with XP and Vista). In my install, I created empty space on a drive, uses the ubuntu Alternate CD to created the GNU/Linux partitions, installed Ubuntu, and then loaded GRUB to the MBR. Afterward, I had to go into the menu.lst file and tweak some of the settings to get multi-boot back.

Also, even though Ubuntu, through a package known as NTFS-3g, provides read/write support for NTFS volumes, and thus COULD update both XP and Vista volumes, I specifically do NOT use that because it has lead to file system corruption -- which I then had to go into XP and Vista to repair.

So, tell me how you installed Fedora 8.

Also, are you writing to the NTFS partition(s) inside Fedora? If you are, that could have corrupted one or more Vista files/programs. I would recommend that if you are mounting an NTFS volume in your FSTAB, you remove that entry and only mount the volume manually, even then, specifying read-only to be safe.

WAW8, Feb 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question