problem connecting xp to vista

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Jayfaas, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jayfaas

Jayfaas

I just bought my parents a new dell Dimension 531 and it has vista basic on it. I cannot get this thing to share for the life of me and its really frustrating :( So far vista has been nothing but an annoyance and a disappointment. Im hoping a fix will soon come out for the problems I encounter. Anywho, onto the problem. I have the vista computer on network share for the C: drive and I made the public folder a share also. I can access the public share from my XP machine but cannot access the C: drive. It says I dont have the rights to that workgroup name, even though both computers have the same workgroup name. I have turned off firewalls on both computers. Whats funny is I can see the XP computers in my network places, and can access them, but the xp computers cannot access the vista computer. Firewalls are turned off, I have done everything in the sticky post above, and still have nothing. The two xp computers can connect to each other fine, and I can connect to the public folder on the vista computer, but I set the C: drive to share, and I cannot access it through the xp computers. I can see it in the network places but cannot access it. Please help.

Jayfaas, Jan 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Jayfaas

Jason

Make sure the Vista user account you are using has a password on it. Then make sure the permissions on the C: share as set to that user. Then from the xp machine type \\ComputerNameOfVistaMachine

and it should prompt you for login credentials. Now put in the credentials for the Vista machine and the password you just created. Should work.

Jason, Jan 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Jayfaas

Jayfaas

I created a user account and gave it administrative rights and it still wont work. I can connect to "public" folder on Vista but not C on vista.

Jayfaas, Jan 22, 2008
  4. Jayfaas

Jason

Does the account you made have a password? That is key. On the folder you are sharing on your C: right click it and go share permissions and make sure the user account you just created w/ the password has rights to the folder. Then access the computer by using its computer name from another pc and it should prompt you to login and then show you all the shares. Use the //Computername to connect.

Jason, Jan 23, 2008
  5. Jayfaas

WAW8

Looks like what you want to so was known as Simple File Sharing in XP, in which you could enable sharing on an entire volume simply by checking a few options in the Sharing tab. Then, all you had to do on the XP machines was click your way down through the network tree until you found the volume you wanted to access, double-click that, and you were in.

This feature (Simple File Sharing) is not supported by default in Vista. The situation is more complicated now. Look at the third bullet under "Differences in File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista" in the link below:

[url]http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx [/url]

WAW8, Jan 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question