Printing from XP Laptop to Vista Desktop issues

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by thejudge, Nov 24, 2008.

1. thejudge

thejudge

I couldn't see a forum based purely on printing, so please redirect me if this is not the place to be. I've been searching for an answer to this for a while, but haven't been getting very far ...

Scenario: Vista 32bit Home Premium SP1 PC, with a Konica Minolta 2500w Magicolor printer via USB. All printing works fine from the desktop.

XP Laptop with SP3, all sitting together happily in a wireless network (workgroup called workgroup). File and printer sharing is turned on, and I can exchange files between laptop and desktop with no issues.

I can see and install the printer on the laptop, and I can print a test page (I had to turn bidirectional off to achieve this, or at least achieve this without restarting the print spooler every time). When I try to print from an application such as Word, I get an error to say that there was an error printing to the printer, check printer is installed properly, etc. If I try to print from notepad I get an error the handle is invalid. If I try to print from Wordpad, no errors, but no print job is created either.

I can continue to print test pages from the laptop even after receiving this error.

Within the Network and Sharing Centre, I can see the printer listed underneath my Vista desktop machine.

If I connect the printer directly to the laptop via the USB cable, the laptop can print from any application I choose.

Anybody come across anything similar, or have any suggestions?

thejudge, Nov 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. thejudge

WAW8

You'll need to make some policy changes on the Vista box...

Click on Start and type gpedit.msc

This will open the Local Group Policy Editor

Make the following changes:

1) Local Computer Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers:

Allow print spooler to accept client connections > to enabled

2) User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers:

Point and Print Restrictions > to disabled

Make sure that the bidirectional support box is unchecked for the shared printer.

Also need to verify the port name on the client box ...

On the client (XP) machine, ensure that the port name used by the printer is as follows:

\\VISTA-PC-NAME\Shared-printer-name

See if these help.

WAW8, Nov 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. thejudge

thejudge

Thanks, will try that tonight and post the results

thejudge, Nov 27, 2008
  4. thejudge

thejudge

I couldn't make the policy changes, as I am using Vista Home Premium and therefore Local Group Policy Editor doesn't exist.

I hunted around and noticed that the group policy registry settings could be downloaded in Excel format, and I could then look up the policy settings suggested above to find the matching registry setting.

Although the spreadsheets (WindowsServer2008andWindowsVistaSP1GroupPolicySettings.xls and VistaGPSettings.xls) had the policy settings described above, the location of these according to the spreadsheets I found (downloaded from Microsoft) seem to be in error, or do not apply to Vista Home Premium as they do not exist in the suggested locations. Therefore nothing has changed in my registry, and I decided it probably wasn't wise to add any new keys or key values.

The port name used by the client for the printer is as described as above (I didn't need to change anything) and bi-directional support check box is un-ticked (which allows me to print a Windows test page) but still no luck from applications.

Looks like I'm back to square one, and will probably give up on this issue for now, and put it down to either the printer not being the easiest thing to share via Vista (though of course, it all worked fine when I had Windows 2000 Pro) or when the toners eventually need changing, decide to purchase a network enabled colour laser instead, and plug it directly into my router. In the meantime, I can continue to plug the printer directly into the laptop when I need to print.

Unless you have another suggestion?

thejudge, Nov 29, 2008
  5. thejudge

WAW8

Sorry ... missed the fact that you were using Home Premium. And, I checked the Excel spreadsheet, and it does not appear to have an equivalent for the spooling setting in Group Policy editor. So, this looks like yet another feature that you can't implement in the Home versions.

WAW8, Nov 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question