Printer Sharing

Discussion in 'Main Lounge' started by Jim W, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Jim W

Jim W

I have a wireless network, and have been sharing my printer that's connected to my desktop with my old laptop Windows XP, now I'm trying to share the printer with my new laptop Vista, but when I go to control panel/printers, and Vista scans the network it says to printer detected, could someone please help

Thanks

Jim W

Jim W, Feb 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jim W

Jason

The default workgroup name in Windows Vista has been changed to WORKGROUP. In Windows® XP Home Edition, the default workgroup name is MSHOME. If you upgrade a computer running Windows XP Home Edition to Windows Vista, it will keep its existing workgroup name. However, new computers with Windows Vista can have a different workgroup name than the other computers on your network. With different workgroups, it takes more time and effort to view all of the computers on the network.

Make sure both computers are on the same workgroup. By Right clicking "my computer" and going to "Change Settings"

You are also going to need to change the network type to "private" so it allows connections to friendly pc's.

Private The computer is connected to a network that has some level of protection from the Internet and contains known or trusted computers. Examples of private network types are home networks or small office networks that are located behind an Internet gateway device that provides firewalling against incoming traffic from the Internet.

The Network and Sharing Center window displays the network location type in parentheses after the network name. Figure 4 shows an example of the Network and Sharing Center window with the network location type highlighted.<DIV style="WIDTH: 576px">[​IMG]
    <P class=figureCaption>Figure 4: An example of the Network and Sharing Center window<DIV class=figureRule></DIV></DIV>

If your network type is Public, do the following:

<TABLE class=numberedList cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=listNumber noWrap align=right>

1.</TD><TD>

To the right of the network name and location type, click Customize.</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=listNumber noWrap align=right>

2.</TD><TD>

In the Set Network Location dialog box, click Private, and then click Next.</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=listNumber noWrap align=right>

3.</TD><TD>

In the Successfully set network settings dialog box, click Close.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Your going to need to restart as well for the changes to take place.

Jason, Feb 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jim W

Jim W

Thanks Jason, for all your help, I finally got it working

Thanks again

Jim W

Jim W, Feb 1, 2007
  4. Jim W

Jason

no problem. What ended up being the solution, if you dont mind?

Jason, Feb 6, 2007
  5. Jim W

24to1

I have a Linksys print server connected to an HP OfficeJet 6110 All-in-one and cannot get my laptop to recognize it. I have verified the settings as defined above and still no luck. Additionally, I have tried to connect via IP and still no luck.....

BTW this was a Vista Upgrade to XP SP2. Wifes Laptop (XP) still printing like a champ.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ron

24to1, Feb 6, 2007
  6. Jim W

Jim W

Jason, it was Norton's Firewall blocking the network, and I couldn't see the printer

Jim W, Feb 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question