Printer Drivers

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Marmaduke, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Marmaduke

Marmaduke

Hi. I got something weird here. I have Vista dual booting with XP. The printer mentioned is set up with XP. I have it plugged in but never turned it on in Vista. Somehow Vista has identified my printer in device manager but shows no drivers. I just checked HP site for drivers and,.. no Vista drivers (Gee, what a surprize). But they say that Vista has "alternative" drivers built in.

So I'm wondering what will happen if I turn on my printer in Vista. Will it work? Will the "alternative" drivers install? Should I create a restore point just in case?

Next dumb question,.. can XP drivers be used in "compatability mode" in Vista?

Marmaduke, Mar 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Marmaduke

kingofnexus

Vista will install the drivers automatically if its a USB connection to your computer. Nothing to worry about mate.

Only problem will arise is if it doesn't have a driver (doubtfull) then it simply will say it cant find a driver for it. No need for system restore.

kingofnexus, Mar 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Marmaduke

Marmaduke

Didn't work. I turned on the printer with everything plugged in and Vista never let out a peep. Never found "new hardware". So I tried the HP Alternative software and that didn't do anything either. Printer not working. What I got was two icons in the Control Panel/Printers Icon that would not remove. Device manager did not show any printer.

If I turned off the printer,I would get an error message that Vista lost contact with a USB device and I should check for proper connection. But it never identified the printer. Also, how do you remove the printer drivers? Everytime I removed them and tried re-installing, Vista kept telling me the drivers were already installed. Nothing was showing in the Program & Software Icon or Device Manager.

Not a good day for me with Vista.

Marmaduke, Mar 13, 2007
  4. Marmaduke

WAW8

WAW8, Mar 13, 2007
  5. Marmaduke

cyclic

I have come across a number of drivers mainly wireless NICs that only work correctly in Vista with most recent XP driver installed........go figure, but I certainly wouldn't shy away from trying an XP driver for anything in Vista, I am sure these issues will get proper attention quite soon but I'm also sure we can muddle through it ourselves.

No such thing as an unsolvable problem, sometimes it just takes longer to find the answer.

cyclic, Mar 13, 2007
  6. Marmaduke

Marmaduke

Thats it. Alternate driver is Deskjet 970cse. Vista has those drivers as generic. When I tried that method, ...nothing. I got as far as "drivers installed , print test page." And it never did. I even changed the printer port as suggested.

I'd try XP drivers but am kind of leary. First time I tried XP drivers was for a modem that was not being recognized by Vista. It trashed my computer. And I also got "reamed" by someone on this forum about using XP drivers in Vista. Use or don't use is a gamble it seams.

Marmaduke, Mar 14, 2007
  7. Marmaduke

cyclic

Let's just clear the air on that one, no amount of installing XP drivers in Vista can do anything to screw your configuration, the very worst that can happen is either the driver refuses to install or you get a BSOD with an IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR EQUAL_TO error and if you look carefully you'll see the name of the driver at the bottom of the text, if that should happen simply restart in 'safe mode' and remove the driver and reboot, in any case you will have made a restore point before you install a new driver wont you? so just roll back.

However I repeat and add thatin my experience with Vista which is as a beta tester and some time system builder\fixer I have yet to have an XP driver do anything other than clear up a problem (albeit temporary until someone can be bothered to write a proper driver) or just refuse point blank to install.

Operating systems are broken by fools playing with low level tools they don't understand not by 'users' trying to install a driver even if it is the wrong one.

(PS. MS are advising the installation of XP drivers for any wireless NIC's that don't behave with the new WAP protocol, which in Vista is most of them!)

Edit to add final words....honest,

I wonder what peeps thinks happen when you use Vista's XPSP2 compatibility mode ? don't ponder too much I've already posted the answer.

cyclic, Mar 14, 2007
  8. Marmaduke

Marmaduke

So in reply to your first two paragraphs, I can install the Windows XP drivers for my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card and it will work ?

Oh, and the "fool" has two questions:... I'm dual booting, XP/Vista, could you please tell me how to get into Vista safe mode?

Regarding Compatability mode, does it work for XP drivers? That would solve a lot of problems, no need for Nvidia to waste their time coming up with Vista drivers or Creative for re-naming their Beta drivers as good for Vista.

I was not a Beta tester. Vista is new to me. You can say that all the bad mouthing everyone is saying about Vista does not give me confidence in working with this OS. I never had problems with Windows 95, 98SE, or XP as much as I'm having problems with Vista. That modem problem I had should never have happened. It was a Broadxent/Creative modem that Vista would not recognize. I went and bought a U.S. Robotics modem and Vista installed the generic drivers for it, no problem. Everything should be that simple. Right now, all I want is a printer that works in Vista. I will not go out and buy a new printer to support the economy. I have the same problem with this printer that I had with the modem. It is not being recognized by Vista. So you're saying that I should install the XP drivers for this printer and see what happens. Good advice.

I'm not here to pick a fight. I'm lost and need help. People with smug(superior) attitudes and know it all responses don't really help those that are struggling to learn. Just because I screwed up something or trashed my system is no reason to talk down to me. I'm sure you were in the same position years ago when you were first starting out. When I got my first computer (a Cyrex 486Dx-33) I didn't have a clue whatI was doing. no one was around to help. What I learned was self taught. Right or wrong, screwed up or not, I learned. I will learn to use Vista, with or without help.

Marmaduke, Mar 15, 2007
  9. Marmaduke

VistaRocks

I believe you can get to Vista safe mode when you see the screen where you can boot to either OS, it says to hit a certain key to get to advanced options. As far as using Xp drivers on Vista, i haven't had to yet but if i had to i would give it a shot or you can wait a bit to see if HP releases some.

I don't think anyone meant any harm, some just get frustrated and they don't realize that others may not have the knowledge they have. We are here to help each other get through this and we will try to do our best to help you any way we can. Thank you.

VistaRocks, Mar 15, 2007
  10. Marmaduke

WAW8

Marmaduke:

For those of us that do this stuff all the time, it's easy to say that getting a BSOD is no big deal. But for others, that can cause sheer panic! So, ignore the bashing as best you can.

Back to your printer problem, have you tried the HP DJ 930c XP drivers? As long as you do a restore point first, installing XP drivers won't hurt you. You may also get some functionality out of them.

How you install the drivers can make a big difference. Printer manufacturers tend to provide EXE files that you run, and in that case, you want to do that, not the Update Driver option of Device Manager. When you run the EXE file, right-click it and check run-as-administrator, or turn off UAC. Those will help prevent driver installation problems.

WAW8, Mar 15, 2007
  11. Marmaduke

Jason

Just to clear things up for people who are new to BSOD. A BSOD is almost always a hardware problem, so whenever you see one think of any new hardware you installed and or drivers...Just a little tid bit.

Jason, Mar 15, 2007
  12. Marmaduke

Marmaduke

Not the 930 drivers. HP's web site said to use the 970 drivers that were the default included in Vista. I just tried those. What worried me was that Vista did not detect "new hardware found" the printer when it was connected and on. After installing the 970 drivers, Vista acted like there was nothing there except when I turned off the printer. Then i got a notice that Vista lost connection with a USB device.

You're saying I should download seperate .exe file and try that? O.K. But i take it somewhere in Vista I have the 970 drivers installed and sitting. How would I find them and make sure they are deleted? Device manager is not showing a printer, Programs/software is not showing printer drivers, and I removed the printer icons from the printer folder.

Thanks for the help.

Marmaduke, Mar 15, 2007
  13. Marmaduke

cyclic

Please explain to me the reason for your petulance Marmaduke, you have very clearly taken a meaning to my words which I never said or even implied, this is my post .

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl7_lblFullMessage>Let's just clear the air on that one, </SPAN>

<SPAN>because you have been misinformed by somebody and unwarrantly rebuked, something which should never happen to a non tech person asking for help.</SPAN>

<SPAN>no amount of installing XP drivers in Vista can do anything to screw your configuration,</SPAN>

<SPAN>that should comfort you to know that your not doing anything terrible or unrecoverable </SPAN>

<SPAN>the very worst that can happen is either the driver refuses to install or you get a BSOD with an IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR EQUAL_TO error and if you look carefully you'll see the name of the driver at the bottom of the text,</SPAN>

<SPAN>a simple explanation of what may happen if you have not come across it before </SPAN>

<SPAN>if that should happen simply restart in 'safe mode' and remove the driver and reboot,</SPAN>

<SPAN>if you don't know how to just ask</SPAN>

<SPAN> in any case you will have made a restore point before you install a new driver wont you? so just roll back.</SPAN>

<SPAN>intended as a wry reminder if you dont already make restore points

However I repeat and add

I am adding to aprior statement so you know it wasn't just a throw away comment

thatin my experience with Vista which is as a beta tester and some time system builder\fixer I have yet to have an XP driver do anything other than clear up a problem (albeit temporary until someone can be bothered to write a proper driver) or just refuse point blank to install.

reassuring statement I think

Operating systems are broken by fools playing with low level tools they don't understand= people who think they know a lot when they know very little

telling you how actually difficult it is to break any OS not a reference to anyone here

not by 'users' trying to install a driver even if it is the wrong one.

that's you nothing foolish about it, an every day user doing an everyday computer task

(PS. MS are advising the installation of XP drivers for any wireless NIC's that don't behave with the new WAP protocol, which in Vista is most of them!)

Justification of my reasoning

Please let me know what is smug or where I have spoken down to you or refered to you as a fool, if you want help and to learn it will be difficult if you take uneccesary afront at someone who is trying to help you.

Sorry for being condescending but your outburst I feel required an appropriate response, if in future you fail to understand help when it's offered please have the manners to PM me and we wont need to disrupt other peoples enjoyment.</SPAN>

cyclic, Mar 15, 2007
  14. Marmaduke

WAW8

Marmaduke:

I know what the HP site says, I only repeated what someone else claimed in a different forum -- that they installed the 930C drivers for their printer and it then worked.

I also mentioned running the .EXE file because, in my experience, HP has bundled their drivers with some other software. Thus, to install the actual drivers, you have to run their software installation app. Other printer manufacturers sometimes provide driver files that can be loaded simply through Device Manager.

As Cyclic has emphasized, installing the wrong drivers won't hurt you -- they just won't work. You can then remove them using Device Manager, or if that fails, you can do a Restore to get your previous OS instance back. It's not really a high-risk procedure.

WAW8, Mar 16, 2007
  15. Marmaduke

Marmaduke

Just got back from out-of-town. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. What exactly am I doing? H-P's web site says The 930c drivers are in Vista by default. Am I trying the Windows XP .exe downloadable driver or the default 930c Vista drivers?

P.S. Regarding lack of manners from another reply... I notice I don't have a P.M. waiting for me. If you want to make this public, I'm willing, if not "get over it." I forgot you already.

Marmaduke, Mar 21, 2007
  16. Marmaduke

WAW8

As I said, I was just repeating what someone else had claimed on another forum -- that the Vista 930C drivers worked. Checked HP and you're right, they aren't providing separate Vista drivers. So, the only option you have is to install them from the Vista DVD following the instructions from the HP site.

Good luck.

WAW8, Mar 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question