Printer Driver problem.

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by drogemeister, Mar 21, 2007.

1. drogemeister

drogemeister

I have a printer that I tried to install. It worked great on an XP machine, but I needed it to work for the Vista machine. I downloaded the latest driver from the manufacturer's website, which is Vista supported, but am not able to install the driver. What is happening is when I plug the USB into the computer, there is a sound that lets me know that Vista recognized the printer. That is all i get. There isnt any "New Hardware Found." I go to the printers section and the printer isnt there. Any Ideas?

drogemeister, Mar 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. drogemeister

cyclic

What is the make and model of your printer ?

cyclic, Mar 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. drogemeister

WAW8

Some printers were installed in XP by running an EXE file the manufacturer provided. I remember a lot of setup pages that said specifically to cancel out of XP's attempt to install the printer driver through the new hardware wizard, and run their file instead.

The usual process I experienced is to do the following:

1) unplug the printer USB cable

2) run the EXE for the printer software

3) At some point, a screen will appear telling you to plug in the USB cable

4) Plug in the cable

5) The software installation finishes.

So, if what you downloaded for the printer is an EXE file, this is the sequence you should follow, not letting Vista try to install the drivers.

WAW8, Mar 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question