Pre-Release Build 5840 upgrade to 6000

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by tholosophy, May 7, 2007.

1. tholosophy

tholosophy

Hey. I went to one of the Roll-Out conferences (in Chicago)and got Vista build 5840. I want to use it on my HTPC. I also have a laptop which I purchased Ultimate Build 6000 for. I want to upgrade the 5840 build to 6000 on the HTPC, but don't want to conflict with my laptop install.

Does anyone know ofa way to have both computers activated with build 6000 in my situation?

I am all legal! Thanks in advance!

tholosophy, May 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. tholosophy

WAW8

It's been over six months since I messed with a Vista Beta, but from what I remember, there was no upgrade from one Beta version to the next, even to the RTM version. Plus, I believe that if you install the Beta now, you will probably get a notice following activation (if it does activate) that it's due to expire soon.

To upgrade your Beta to retail, you would have to buy a retail or OEM version. I've heard that MS is offering discounts to holders of Beta versions, but I don't have any details on that.

WAW8, May 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. tholosophy

Detroit

I got my Office Professional 2007 and Vista Ultimate free at the market launch in Detroit. RC 2 will expire at the end of May, but I believe that 5840 has no such time bomb.

You might try fooling with some entries in the Registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion. There are a number of entries there relating to the build numbers, among others. However, that seems to be too simple...

One item is: 5840.vista_rtm.061018-1900 and another is: 5840.16384.x86fre.vista_rtm.061018-1900, implying that the 5840 version is indeed RTM, although you probably won't be able to install all of what the build 6000 can do.

If you have access to a properly installed build 6000, you might try copying those Registry data to your own Registry and find out. In any event, whatever you do, report what you find out...

Detroit, May 15, 2007
  4. tholosophy

RedSpider

Hi folks.

I'm in the same boat as tholosophy. I received my Version 6.0 (Build 5840) of Vista Ultimateat a Roll-Out. I'd like to upgrade to the RTM, but I don't know it it will require a "clean install" or if an "In-place installation option available." MS lists three categories of Pre-Release versions of Vista:Beta 2, RC1 and RC2. Only RC2 is listed with an in-place option. OTH, MS does not even mention what to do about the 5840 build although software driver folks (HP in particular) is not allowing their drives to update to anything below a Build 6000.

What do I do and what will happen???Lose all my programs and files?

Thanks

RedSpider, May 16, 2007
  5. tholosophy

tholosophy

Cool. My thing is that while the timebomb doesnt exist, I want one of the features for media center that is only in the 6000 build. This feature, which does not seem to be in 5840, is the "set up tv" feature. Kind of a bummer...

tholosophy, May 17, 2007
  6. tholosophy

kingofnexus

You can probably simply upgrade, as the build is newer than RC2 which would allow it. Its whether or not the product key would be accepted is the problem. It will most likely upgrade but you will probably need to purchease a new product key.

kingofnexus, May 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question