please tell me how to find a hidden program

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by danny1013, Dec 27, 2007.

1. danny1013

danny1013

I want to know if there is any "hidden" programs on my computer that wouldn't appear on the add/remove programs. I want to know if there is any kind of software on my computer that is recording my operations on this computer. PLEASE HELP!

danny1013, Dec 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. danny1013

TimeRanger

Some basic info would be nice - Which Windows are you using? IE will keep a record/History of every website that you visit, but you can manually clear that History

TimeRanger, Dec 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. danny1013

danny1013

vista of course.. i know theres a way to show on XP but it doesn't seem to work for vista.. i found a program that says it will show you all the hidden programs on your computer but of course you have to buy it and i really just want to know if i have any kind of spyware or anything like that on here.. HELP .. let me know..

danny1013, Dec 28, 2007
  4. danny1013

TimeRanger

TimeRanger, Dec 28, 2007
  5. danny1013

WAW8

You're asking two different questions:

1) Do programs exist that are NOT shown in Add/Remove programs?

2) Does your machine have any spyware or malware?

The answer to the first is of course! The add/remove function is for adding and removing complete applications, not individual programs. Also, it doesn't automatically show all the Windows features that can be added or removed. Just running a search for all the .exe and .com files will show LOTS of "programs" that aren't listed -- usually, because they were installed as a byproduct of an app install, or they came with windows.

The anwer to the second is to acquire and run antispyware and/or antimalware applications. Windows Defender will do some of that, but it's not the best. There are several commercial apps that will do better.

WAW8, Dec 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question