Please Help-- .NET Framework Issue

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by DuckFarmer, Sep 22, 2010.

1. DuckFarmer

DuckFarmer

I hope this is the correct forum...

So here is my problem:
    Windows Update will not successfully install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack1. The update fails and gives me the 643 error message.

I have been searching for a solution to the problem for a few days now and I think this will work: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

I understand the procedure for the fix except for one very annoying problem; Vista doesn't have a "Add or Remove Programs" tab under Control Panel. Also, I don't see the .NET Framework listed under the "Uninstall a Program" tab, or under the "List of Installed Programs" tab (unless it is referred to something else, i.e. a different name than what I am looking for, which is Microsoft .NET Framework...?).

So I guess my main question here is, how the heck do I uninstall the old versions of the .NET Framework?

I've been beating my head against the wall with this for the past few days, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    -Andy

And for what it's worth, I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit

DuckFarmer, Sep 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. DuckFarmer

tevans95

Try looking for "Program and Features" in control panel. Mircosoft just changed the name. This is Vista's Add and Remove programs feature.

Then on the side click "View installed updates" and then you should find the .NET framework file to uninstall.

Try that.

I run Vista Ultimate 32-bit but they shouldn't be that different.

Tevans95

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    tevans95, Sep 23, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. DuckFarmer

DuckFarmer

Okay, I see the updates, but none of them say Microsoft.NET Framework (or something along those lines). They all say "Update for Microsoft Windows" or "Security Update for Microsoft Windows" followed by a KB with a bunch of numbers.....So I'm still lost :(

Thanks for the help though!

Andy

DuckFarmer, Sep 23, 2010
  4. DuckFarmer

WAW8

In Control Panel, there is an entry for Turn Windows Features on or off.

Click it and you should see included in the list, .Net framework. That is where you would disable it.

WAW8, Sep 24, 2010
  5. DuckFarmer

tevans95

That would be in that location I tool you about Program and Features so your copy isn't showing you everything.

tevans95, Sep 24, 2010
  6. DuckFarmer

DuckFarmer

Yes, I have the .NET Framework box checked off, but I still don't see the updates listed.

I did run this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx Which is the .NET Framework cleanup tool, but I don't think it worked because when I go into my C drive under Windows, I can still see all the versions of .NET Framework still installed (all the folders are still there).

But now on the other hand not seeing them under the "View Installed Updates" tab makes me believe they were uninstalled...

So I'm not sure what I should do now. Should I reinstall the .NET Framework and proceed with the fix?

DuckFarmer, Sep 24, 2010
  7. DuckFarmer

DuckFarmer

Anybody have any ideas?

DuckFarmer, Sep 27, 2010
  8. DuckFarmer

DuckFarmer

Bump. Please help. I still have this problem.

DuckFarmer, Nov 20, 2010
  9. DuckFarmer

alysa

Oh ,i am new to .NET Framework,hope u get help soon..

alysa, Sep 30, 2011
  10. DuckFarmer

patch49

patch49, Oct 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question