Plasma display

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Silver925, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Silver925

Silver925

Connected to my PC (Vista Ultimate 32) I have a LCD monitor and a plasma display.

The LCD monitor works perfectly, the plasma remains blank.

It's probably because I can't change the refresh rate to 60Hz. Botg Display Settings and the Catalyst Control Center offer only 25 Hz interlaced, with my display does not support.

I changed the driver for the plasma to all I could find but 25 Hz interlaced remains the only refresh rate available.

I need 848x480 60Hz: resolution is OK, refresh rate not.

I have an Ati 2600 Pro with the newest Catalyst (7.11).

It used to work, but I can't remember what I used when it worked.

Thanks

Silver

Silver925, Nov 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Silver925

kingofnexus

The plasma should be able to do render at 25hz interlaced, as this is the lowest refresh rate, and therefore easiest to display. However I know that this is not always the case so the problem will be in the detection of the display adapter. Try unplugging and pluggin in the wire connected to your TV. Also check you have the cables out the back correct (how are you connecting your PC with your TV?), if you are using the VIVO splitter, check that the arrows on the connections point outwards, indicating that this is the video out. Also try right clicking the display in the display panel and choosing different modes such as clone or extend display.

kingofnexus, Nov 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Silver925

Silver925

The plasma display doesn't support interlace (according to manual) on the DVI connection.

The setup is:

PC/Ati 2600Pro => DVI/HDMI Adapter => HDMI Cable => DVI/HDMI Adapter => plasma

As said, it worked with other drivers (short after installing Vista, but already with some unknown ATI drivers).

I remember, in the Catalyst Control Panel I had 60 Hz for the plasma (secondary display, extended desktop), now this refresh rate is not available anymore.

I also remember that I didn't need to select "force TV detection" (or similar) in the CCC, ant it worked. Now if I don't the plasma is not even recognized.

Then I disabled the plasma because I didn't need it for a while and today, when I needed it again, after all Windows updates and Ati driver updates (7.11) I did in the meantime, it's not working anymore.

I'm driving crazy...

Silver925, Nov 27, 2007
  4. Silver925

kingofnexus

Try just a DVI cable. There is no need to use a more expensive HDMI cable which is also more suseptible to interference with adapters at both ends which cant do the signal any good either.

kingofnexus, Nov 29, 2007
  5. Silver925

Silver925

It must be a software problem, because it used to work. After changing the drivers it stopped working. It tried to go back to old drivers but it still does not work.

The only thing I need is to change the refresh rate if the output for the plasma to 60Hz instead of 25i Hz, but I can't.

Any idea how to do this?

Silver925, Dec 23, 2007
  6. Silver925

Silver925

Now it's with Catalyst 7.12.

Silver925, Dec 23, 2007
  7. Silver925

Silver925

Now Catalyst 8.1 ... still not working.

Should I buy a new TV?

Silver925, Jan 17, 2008
  8. Silver925

kingofnexus

No, I wouldn't go that far.

What might be the problem is that you want to be in 'alternate dvi operational mode' or not if it is enabled. This setting will be located under attributes for yourplasma properties:

[​IMG]

Also try reduced DVI frequency.

If those settings aren't their or dont work, you could check that a monitor driver isn't stopping it from working properly. Go into device manager, and check that under monitors it says Generic PnP Monitor (or similar) and not a specific model. If it is try to uninstall the driver for it.

kingofnexus, Jan 17, 2008
  9. Silver925

ThreeEyedJack

Hope you mind me dropping in on this thread, I have done a very silly thing.

I have a laptop with Vista and needed to display the output to a Plasma TV. A got a S-Video cable plugged it in and had a blank screen on the YTV, a quick Google gave me the answer by right clicking on desktop and selecting (what I cannot remeber) and bingo, up came the output, Good!

All ready for our AGM. On the next day I plugged it all in fired the laptop up and ..nothing on the TV, Ah ha,I thought, so right click, but this time a different panel popped with the option of "Make TV the output" or something like that. So I duly selected that option..then it went blank. I cannot get my laptop to display anything. Rebooting in safe mode does not allow me to find that panel again, so I am stuck and feeling very silly as an ex network engineer for many years.

No doubt I am missing some thing basic (hopefully). Any ideas please?

TEJ

ThreeEyedJack, Jan 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question