Permissions error for moving file in My Documents

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by ylwgirl, May 15, 2007.

1. ylwgirl

ylwgirl

We have a new Vista laptop and we've redirected My Documents to a user folder on the server for backup purposes. Permissions on the User's folder give the user full access to Folders, Subfolders & files.

The user cannot move or delete a file in her My Docs. She receives a permission error. Why would that be? I know Vista has alot of "security" restrictions but I can't believe they would disable a users ability to manage their own files. So....I must be missing something here. Anybody?

ylwgirl, May 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ylwgirl

WAW8

That's because the "My..." folders on Vista are not really folders in the sense that they were back in XP; instead, they're links to where the real folders are stored.

For the real folders, look under C:\Users\{username}\Documents.

WAW8, May 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. ylwgirl

ylwgirl

Sorry if I'm being dumb here but the permissions I checked were on: C:\Users\{username}\Documents. She's got full control. Yet, she can't rename her docs, move them, or delete them. Why not? And why would Vista have put that kind of limit on My Docs? Default should be that user can do whatever they want with them.

ylwgirl, May 16, 2007
  4. ylwgirl

WAW8

yes, you "should" be able to do whatever you want to your documents, even with "MyDocuments" stored on another machine.

Suggest you check out the following link about how to make that change.

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=1371

WAW8, May 17, 2007
  5. ylwgirl

ylwgirl

It had to do with the user file on the server. The permissions weren't filtering down to some of the sub folders. I just went in and manually adjusted them. Not sure why this happened but more than likely it was something we did. There was quite a bit of file transferring going on....long story.

ylwgirl, May 17, 2007
  6. ylwgirl

WAW8

So, is it working now? If not, I found a long detailed explanation from MS that discusses the finer points of relocating the MyDocuments folders, including the use of Group Policies. I can post the document address if you want it.

WAW8, May 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question