Permission required to do anything

Discussion in 'Security' started by Jonat45, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Jonat45

Jonat45

I haveHome Premium and I find that I am asked for permission to let anything be installed,upgraded or generally moved.

It has stopped me updating drivers and is stopping emaiils going out.

I am a sole user so I don't need this level of protection.

Can I get rid of it all?

Jonat45, Mar 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jonat45

WAW8

Unfortunately, you can't get rid of ALL of it unless you use the hidden Administrator account to do your work. However, you can turn off UAC, which will get rid of most of the prompting.

The quick way is to open Control Panel, go into User Accounts, click the Turn UAC on or off link, and uncheck the Use UAC checkbox. Of course, that will then cause the security center "shield" to turn red, and you'll get nagged at every login to turn it back on, but that's the tradeoff.

For more details and tips, go to

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-vista/

WAW8, Mar 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jonat45

cyclic

Yes indeed but if you then go into the security centre you can change the way it alerts you to things and turn that warning off and voila another nagging problem solved.

I do love it when a plan comes together.

cyclic, Mar 16, 2007
  4. Jonat45

Maló

When I turn UAC off, the Palm desktop program doesn´t work anymore. It starts with a flash screen, and thern it gets stuck. This also happens with UAC on, if I configure that the program be executed as Administrator, although in that case I first have to confirm that the program will be started.

On the other hand, If I have UAC on, the program PS tray factory, will run but it will not function, when run at startup. It does work if I run it later.

Needless to say, there were no such problems in XP.

It is hard to get everything working in Vista :(.

Maló, May 18, 2007
  5. Jonat45

Jason

Try changing the settings:<H3>Disable Admin Approval Mode</H3><DIV class=intro>

Use the following procedure to disable Admin Approval Mode.<TABLE class=sidebarContent cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" onclick=""><TD class=dropCapQ style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" noWrap align=left></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><H5>[​IMG] Note: </H5></TD></TR><TR class="" id=eCEKH style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=top><TD class=dropCapQ noWrap align=right></TD><TD>

To perform the following procedure, you must be logged into a client computer as a local administrator.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=numberedList cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" onclick=""><TD class=dropCapQ style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" noWrap align=left></TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

To disable Admin Approval Mode</TD></TR><TR class="" id=eCEPH style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=top><TD class=dropCapQ noWrap align=right></TD><TD><TABLE name="tiba"><TBODY><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; LINE-HEIGHT: 140%">1. </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Run, type secpol.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; LINE-HEIGHT: 140%">2. </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

If UAC is currently active, a User Account Control dialog box will appear. If so, verify that the details presented match the request you initiated, and click Continue.</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; LINE-HEIGHT: 140%">3. </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

From the Local Security Settings console tree, click Local Policies, and then click Security Options.</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; LINE-HEIGHT: 140%">4. </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

Scroll down and double-click User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode.</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; LINE-HEIGHT: 140%">5. </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

From the User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode Properties dialog box, click Disabled, and then click OK.</TD></TR><TR style="BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px inset; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px inset; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 7px; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px inset; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px inset"><TD class=pageNumber style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; LINE-HEIGHT: 140%">6. </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">

Close the Local Security Sett

Jason, May 19, 2007
  6. Jonat45

Maló

secpol.msc is not found. It doesn´t seem to exist on my computer.

Maló, May 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question