Password Lockout, Admin Disabled

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dougyyyyy, Oct 15, 2007.

1. dougyyyyy

dougyyyyy

OK so I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 which has Windows Vista Home Premium installed from the factory. The password will not work. I have run a program OPHCrack which is supposed to find the password but it wont find it because I need to access the NTHash. So I tried KNOPPIX (linux) to try to format the darn thing and be done with vista. But there is no format option besides fdisk which wont do anything using the commands fdisk /dev/sda.

I also tried just popping in an xp disk and it told me the hard drive can not be accessed.

Now, I see several possible options but cant get any of them to work. I would just like a fresh restart but I can not get into the computer at all except for bootable disks.

Any suggestions?

dougyyyyy, Oct 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. dougyyyyy

WAW8

If you really want to reformat the hard drive, google for and download GParted -- LINUX partitioning utility. Download the bootable ISO, burn it to a CD, reboot the machine, and you can wipe out all the partitions. You can then use GParted to repartition the drive as you see fit. However, the MBR will probably remain intact, so whatever OS you install will need to overwrite the MBR or your machine won't be bootable.

Another option, even more destructive, is to find out who manufactured the hard drive, go to their website, and download a disk utilities ISO. Seagate, for example, makes a SeaTools product that will complete low-level reformat their hard drives. That wipes everything -- partitions, boot records, everything.

WAW8, Oct 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question