Partition or Virtual

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by op9, Feb 11, 2009.

1. op9

op9

I have Vista Ultimate installed on my laptop from new. In my work I have to use a Siemens program installed on the laptop to interface withan industrial controller through a RS232 cable.

The program installed on the Vista laptop OK but will not communicate. After much waiting for an answer Siemens in Germany admits there is a problem with Vista but has no intention in the forseeable future of sorting it. It works fine with XP.

They offer no solution so I was going to try either (1) Install MS Virtual PC and install XP on that or (2) partition the Vista drive and install XP as a dual boot. I tend to be nervous around PCs when they are working fine and don't want to try a "suck and see" effort . So I was hoping for some advise on the Pros and Cons of either option and which one is most likely to be successful.

Thanks in advance

op9, Feb 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. op9

WAW8

Both Virtual and dual-boot will give you the same functionality.

Since you will have to install XP either way, and install apps as well, the only real differences is that virtualization won't require you the shrink the Vista partition (always a challenge) but it will produce a result that is slightly slower than dual-boot and can present some problems interfacing with all the hardware.

I've used both, and if you can get the hardware to work, I would choose virtualization over dual-boot.

WAW8, Feb 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question