Parental controls and Yahoo Instant messenger

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by daveinny, Sep 1, 2007.

1. daveinny

daveinny

I've turned on Parental Controls and have excluded all websites accept sites that I have on the "allow" list. I do however want Yahoo Instant messenger to be allowed. The problem is that I can't figure out what websites Yahoo IM is using under the covers so I can add them to the allow list. I have added all of the yimg.com sitesI could figure out might be needed off of the report that showed recently blocked sites. I added us.i1.yimg.com, us.js2.yimg.com, us.bcast1.yimg.com, us.az.yimg.com and a bunch of other ones that I thought mightbe needed. But no matter what I add to the "allow" list I can't get Yahoo IM to log on. And I know it's an issue with the allow list because as soon as I go in and say "allow all web access" YIM works fine, with nothing else changed. I just can't figure out what all needs to be put on the allow list to allow YIM to work. If anyone has encountered this problem and figured out the precise sites that need to be added to the allow list to make YIM work please let me know. Thank you.

daveinny, Sep 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. daveinny

nickypoo

Try this,<LI>Yahoo! Messenger: msg.edit.yahoo.com/* <LI>Yahoo! Messenger: Might also need to block messenger.yahoo.com/*andhttp.pager.yahoo.com/* Be sure to type in the http on that last URL).
    </LI>

nickypoo, Sep 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. daveinny

daveinny

Thank you! How wonderful that was, spend hours trying to figure it out, go to bed exhausted get up in the morning the answer awaits. :)

messenger.yahoo.com is the only one that needs to be put on the allow list for the login to work. I got the login to work with the entire allow list cleared and messenger.yahoo.com being the only allowed website. I am leaving the other two that you suggested msg.edit.yahoo.com and pager.yahoo.com on the allow list as well, even though they aren't needed to get the login to work because they very well might be needed for Yahoo IM to function properly and because it can't hurt to have them on the list. Thanks again for your help.

I like Parental Controls and the ability to block everything and just allow what is on the allow list but Microsoft certainly did a poor job of handling "under the cover" website requests like what exists for Yahoo IM. There is no good reporting so you can see what is actually trying to be accessed, so you can see it and add the site to the allow list andthe access attempt doesn't launch any parental override option.

Geez Microsoft, if I try to go to CNN.com (something that I can obviously see and easily add to the list myself) and it's not on the allow list, Vista pops up the option for me to allow it and will add it to the list for me, but, something that is completely hidden and not obvious like Yahoo IM, the exact kind of thing that you would want Vista to put on the alow list for you after you have granted permission and no parental override/add to the allow list option ever appears. What kind of testing do they do at Microsoft? This scenario that I encountered really should havebeen a pretty easy thing for them to figure out that they needed to address it.

Anyway thanks again for providing me the answer. Good to know that there are knowledgeable people out there who can provide the answer when Microsoft drops the ball.

daveinny, Sep 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question