OS Switch

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dreadlord369, May 1, 2007.

1. dreadlord369

dreadlord369

OK. Im running a multi boot system with two hard drives. On one drive is Xp pro x64(slave) and other system is messed up(It was xp home but when someone put in a restore disk by mistake it stopped booting to xp and instead started the restore program)(Primary). I was wondering if I could remove the working hard drive (with xp pro x64) and use linux live to get into the screwed up drive and install an upgrade version of x64 vista on it. Also I would like to know if when I put my second hard drive back in that if I can still boot up to the Os on that hard drive. Please help cause i can barely do anything with the OS I am in now cause you cant download any drivers for my system and all my drivers are on my old hard drive. THE REASON I AM NOT JUST DOING IT THE EASY WAY BY FORMATTING IS BECAUSE I NEED ALL OF THE FILES ON THERE AND THERE ARE OVER 250 GIGS OF FILES ON THERE. Please Reply Soon. :exclamationmark: :exclamationmark: :exclamationmark: :exclamationmark: :exclamationmark: :exclamationmark: :exclamationmark: :exclamationmark: :exclamationmark: :exclamationmark: :exclamationmark: :exclamationmark:

dreadlord369, May 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. dreadlord369

Walker

That might be a problem....

The reason being I don't think the system will allow you to boot from the old disc. You however have the option of installing Vista on the XP drive without deleting any files. What it will do is it will put a .old behind all the old files of windows. This cannot be done through the UPGRADE option so you have to launch the install through boot.

I have never tried it though and it means that XP is still gonna take up your space.

Walker, May 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. dreadlord369

dreadlord369

Thanks for replying. I know what you are trying to say but the problem is that the only way that i can choose the upgrade option is if I am logged on to windows. If I boot from the Disk the the Upgrade button is greyed out. Or can you choose upgrade from disk boot when you buy an upgrade version?? Because I didnt buy an upgrade version.

dreadlord369, May 2, 2007
  4. dreadlord369

Walker

No,

This is nothing to do with upgrading. Upgrading means you prtialy keep the old files of windows are intergrate them so that it is an upgrade. This however takes all the old windows files shoves them into a corner and puts vista files instead. I have tried this option and it worked fine. just takes up more space....

What to do;

-put your vista DvD into drive

-reboot your pc

-in bios make sure your cd drive is first in boot order

-boot from cd

-choose the CUSTOM option for install

-install vista on the same drive as your XP

-it will come up with a message that will tell you more

Walker, May 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question