order of updates before sp2 home premium

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by johnny V, May 24, 2016.

1. johnny V

johnny V

Hi to everyone!

Trying to install vista home premium from scatch to a pc (amd athlon 64X2) for a friend of mine, three weeks now. First attempt with english version "dvd" sp1 32bit. After sp2 and new update agent 7.6.7600.256 the problem no updates :( no matter what tricks i tried (reset, msfix, register dlls, scannow, readinesstool before and after, vistalizator to get another agent, scripts from net). Second attempt with 64bit english sp1 "dvd" same problem with updates and worst havoc. After trying some tools system out of order file system and programms little or no response. I left out of question 64 bit. Third attempt with an old greek dvd 32 bit no sp!. Manually sp1 and updates up to sp2 but after sp2 and new update agent same no updates. For days! searching manually updates sometimes are being downloaded to folder SoftwareDistribution but nothing for me to install, no errors but no updates too. The same for IE for msessentials, readiness tool all ms software keeps searching and nothing else.Start to improvise install office, unistall sp2. Appeared 15 updates for vista, 40 for office :). Now again sp2 appeared on update but what i am supposed to do? Install and unistall sp2? I am thinking sp2 from net because seems to be older. I wonder if sp2 causes driver problems. What about taking manually updates, but how and which? Any ideas?

johnny V, May 24, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. johnny V

Jamie White

SP2 should not cause any driver issues or problems, since the driver model is the same throughout Windows Vista.

It is true, since Windows 10 was released, that update connections seem to be far slower/glitchy. Internet Explorer updates have been discontinued completely and cannot be re-downloaded after January 17, 2016.

You should be fine using the Windows Update service for SP2, I have re-installed Vista several times, and it has never failed to function.

Jamie White, Jun 6, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. johnny V

johnny V

Thanks Jamie White sorry for the delay

You are right some way. Sp2 is not exactly the problem. After SP2 windows updates asking to download and install new update software. This software - not mentioned- usually does not seems to be installed properly -windows keeps asking for installing it no matter how many times I click to install. After the "install" updates keeps searching forever, even if start manual search. I understand the reason is that the update mechanism takes a request for shut down (events 38, 39 on win update clent viewer). It seem that they take one update -maybe the new software (event 41) and they fail to install. The result is loss of synchronization besause i got an update that does not appear in the update dialog box and i can not install it. On the other hand bacause of the ghost update the update mechanism is stopped and waiting for me to install. I say mechanism because service is up and running. The problem appears with premium not with business -for example for the same medium of installation. Trying to manually install updates before and after sp2 but it seems that i need the right updates in the right order for a system that it never existed! So i trying every update i know until sychronization again...

johnny V, Jun 11, 2016
  4. johnny V

Jamie White

Since you said it's not happening on Business, I'm going to take a guess you're using an OEM-licenced version of Vista SP2 Home.

Probably some kind of driver Windows Update suggested, that failed to install, but removed itself from the updates list (albeit incorrectly), and confused your system.

Is there any error codes present? I might forward your issue to Microsoft's support site/thing if there isn't one.

Jamie White, Jun 11, 2016
  5. johnny V

johnny V

Thanks again

Now i am trying again with vista sp1 english as i downloaded and configured it from internet (the three files) this is (was) ms release not available anymore -as far as i know. Here is where business worked fine.
    I also tried same version with 64bit same issue
    I also tried with OEM release with no SP, with the same issue after 2 sp!
    I also tried with SP2 english version that i downloaded from internet, ready ISO, worked once only with the same issue.
    I tried to install sp2 from ms download packet as far from updates same issue after installation
    The pc has pk stick but i got no media from pc-maker. After your post i am thinking about asking, maybe something, it is difficult to find the maker, the pc is relative old but i will give it a try.
    Try to slipstream the drivers of sata mobo results to error
    Maybe a bios update would do something but i keep it as a last chance, the pc is not mine.
    I think the update that tries to install is the (new) update agent 7.6.7600.256, so i installed it manually before and after sp2. The system seems answers better but the issue appears again.
    I think that an update is missing -before or after sp2- before the problem (after sp2) maybe Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile because i notice (i think ok i am not sure) this update appears and dissappears before the problem.
    I am trying any update i found from an vista - premium pc of my own.
    Is there a catalogue with all the vista updates anywhere?
    I tried also windows downloader but few updates here!
    The manual downloads works before the problem (after sp2) but after there are problems. Sometimes they work others not.
    Guess what: the updates i am trying to install to solve the problem of win update searching for ever, they search for updates themselves -the standalone software- for ever!
    I am inclined to think that
    a) windows 10 closed many ms servers so the updates are few and critical missing (not fair because nominal support has not come to an end for vista!)
    b) Finding the right update and installing it in the right order is the solution

johnny V, Jun 11, 2016
  6. johnny V

Jamie White

About the update catalogue: Microsoft Update Catalog
    Try that.

Could be a problem with Microsoft's catalogue (maybe they deleted something from it)
    Can you install the .NET Framework Client Profile manually and test the results ^^

"a) windows 10 closed many ms servers so the updates are few and critical missing (not fair because nominal support has not come to an end for vista!)" As for that, I noticed that you can't get old updates for XP anymore either (anything pre-SP3), so I think MS are doing something to the update catalogue.

Jamie White, Jun 12, 2016
  7. johnny V

johnny V

thank you jamie again for the catalogue i am downloading and installing every vista update i know manually (ok not productive but better from waiting for ever(?))

just some progress in the above issues for anyone who cares
    a)as an experiment i downloaded sp2 from windows update when it appeared but i didn't install it, i just restart the machine. Then windows update failed to re-download the sp2 and install it. They just created a second folder in software distribution and left some file(s) there open i think because i could not delete that folder. That was until i remove the first sp2 folder from software distribution the one that was created the first time sp2 was downnloaded. Then i was able to install sp2 again. Maybe coicidence, maybe connectivity for windows update was lost and established again during my experimenting.
    b)After sp2 when the warning for new update software appears, you click to install and the updates closes and reopen with new layout (icon) and they seem to search for new updates. At that point connectivity for windows update is lost and you have to restart the machine in order to install the update for updates and reestablish connectivity. Then you read in update "Check for update for your computer" and you see an exclamation mark but i do not think that is important as far as connectivity is established (message30 in event viewer for update client)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    johnny V, Jun 20, 2016
  8. johnny V

Jamie White

I actually ran the update checker the other day and it wouldn't even scan for any updates yet it was using 100% of CPU Microsoft are really messing up.

Thanks for the info too ^^ glad everything has worked.

Jamie White, Jun 22, 2016
  9. johnny V

johnny V

I agree Jamie now i am thinking very carefully! before i hit search for updates manually from windows update (talking for vista) in order not getting in an endless loop and updates mechanism out of order temporally(?) during installation
    tricky things from ms servers for vista, microsoft seems to closing vista 1 year before supports ends, very frustrating for this difficult anyway -but good for me product, maybe for 10, maybe a measure against piracy i dont know, maybe just management
    aware of "get updates for other microsoft products" feature (ms update) these days i suggest if you have not enabled it so far do not do it now during installation anyway, seems also to mesh up bad with updates
    i started new installation one day ago, manual updates didn't work but i (want to) believe this was my fault and if i learn and correct the tricky things from experience somehow i ll get an updated systen running
    thanks again

johnny V, Jun 23, 2016
  10. johnny V

Jamie White

Thanks.

Apparently there's 5 KB's that are vital to fix the broken updater, but it seems that no one has listed what actual KB's they are...

Jamie White, Jun 24, 2016
  11. johnny V

johnny V

I finally find a way to reset the update mechanism and install the updates manually after sp2 for anyone who cares (now i am about year 2013 hope it works till end).
    If updates seem to work endless (searching for updates with 50% usage of cpu) and same when you trying to install windows update standalone installer (double click to a package from catalogue https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx)
    a)set updates to never check for updates (not recommended) in order to keep the service stopped during the cure
    b) run Manually reset Windows Update components (kb971058) to an elevated cmd but i)do not register dll that you do not have in your vista version ii)do not start again the services just install after the commands latest update agent -if you haven't and restart (maybe you have to run the above 2-3 times)
    c)after restart keep updates to never check for updates (not recommended) and install the packages from catalogue
    The above worked both for business and premium just business reacted better when a stand alone package wants me to restart i have the chance in that point to open updates (for example check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them) so after restart i have the update mechanism running normally (if vista communicates with server you can download ad install the update) and you can also install more standalone packages with no reset. But not with premium, with this version if you open updates before restart after the installation of a package that wants you to restart you have to reset again the updates after the restart- look above what i mean reset. The same if you open the updates after the reset and before installing any update package. You can install some packages before the next restart but not after
    or that is what i 've understood so far, hope it helps thank you

johnny V, Jun 25, 2016
  12. johnny V

johnny V

Finally find on the net the answer: there are missing updates that changes month by month: http://wu.krelay.de/en/
    thank you so much, before installing the missing updates close the vista updates and after turn it on.
    Once again my problem was vista searches for updates for ever after sp2

johnny V, Oct 9, 2016
    1. Advertisements