On start up, screen displays Media Player

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by brenin50, Apr 10, 2008.

1. brenin50

brenin50

My Son has an Acer Notebook, which model I am unsure of. On start up the screen displays Media Player and it has to be closed down before anything can be accessed. Also certain programmes, such as system Restore cannot be accessed and aerror message appears saying something like 'Media player has encounterd a problem and has to close'. Can anyone throw some light on this although I suspect it is avirus of some sort.

We have also tried to re-format the machine from the CD drive, changed the settings so that it boots from the CDbut it seems to bypass this and goes straight to the hard drive.

brenin50, Apr 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. brenin50

WAW8

Boot into safe mode and see if it still launched Media Player. I doubt it will. If it doesn't, then use MSCONFIG, startup tab, disable all startup programs, and reboot, re-enabling one at a time until Media Player launches again. The last one you re-enabled is the culprit.

Also, not to nitpick, but the Vista media is DVD, not a CD. If it's a CD drive, it won't be able to read the DVD, so it won't be able to boot from it.

WAW8, Apr 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question