Offical Guide to Fixing BSOD/STOP errors!

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Jason, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Jason

Jason

Background

This guide will show you how to use Free Windows Debugging tools to analyze the mini dumps which occur after a BSOD(Blue Screen of Death). Windows Debugging Tools include an application called WinDgb in which70% of the time will return the source of the bluescreen.A mini or kernel memory dump occurs when a windows Kernel level process makes an error causing the entire OS to issue a STOP command, hence the blue screen. Kernel level process's and different from user level process (applications like IE, Word etc.. are User level process's). Kernel level process run at the core of Windows appearing as device drivers and other very low level software used to communicate with raw hardware I/O, and system memory management. This is commonly why most people say you have a driver issue when your computer begins experiencing STOP errors i.e"Blue Screens". <P align=center>95% of the time the OS is not a fault for a STOP error but a poorly written device driver. So don't blame Microsoft!<P align=center>

What happens when there is a STOP error?

When Vista encounters a STOP it will flash the common blue screen, dump the physical memory to the hard drive and restart. Now in past Windows Operating Systems you would need to change a system setting in order to stop the system from restarting in order to read the actual STOP error code on the blue screen. This can still be done under: Right Click My Computer &gt; Properties &gt; Advanced Properties (Left Pane) &gt; Startup and Recovery Settings &gt; uncheck the auto restart box. Most of the time this will not be necessary as the next time you log on after a blue screen restart Vista will prompt you with a little window describing the STOP error code and where the dump file can be found.<P align=left>STOP Error options Windows:<P align=left>NOTE: It is generally better to have a small memory dump then a kernel dump as more info is at hand for the debugger.<P align=left>[​IMG]

Windows Error Solution Window:

[​IMG]

Locating the memory dump file

Looking at the photo above, the first file location listed will appear similiar to:

C:\Windows\Minidump\MiniXXXXXX.dmp (XXX is a random identifier)

This is the location in which we will use later when using Window Debugger to search for the driver which caused this STOP error or "Blue Screen".

Using Windows Debugging Tools

To begin you must download the free tools from Microsoft here: (If you are unsure which version of Windows you have x86 or x64, most likely you have x86)

x86 Download:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

x64 Download:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/install64bit.mspx

Download and start the Installation

Upon the completion of installation go to your start menu and locate "Debuggin Tools for Windows" and click on WinDBg.

Once loaded, click File &gt; Symbol File Path and enter (without quotes) "SRV*DownstreamStore*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols"

Opening the Memory Dump:

Now Click File &gt; Open Crash Dump and navigate to the location of the file we found earlier, and hit OK. You will be prompted to save workspace, and hit yes.

Now wait 10 seconds or so depending

Jason, Mar 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

MarkC

I'm new to this forum! but not new to forums.

I just bought a new Gatway computer for my wifeand itcame with Windows Vista with SP1. I had already found out how to stop the auto restart after a system failure, so I could read the BSOD information. I also found out how to run the Widows memory test, which the system passed. I've not tried the debug tool yet, But! I thoughtthat maybe now thatI have the blue screen message that somebody could give me some idea of what the problem is. I also thought that having one of these messages actually postedon the net that it would help people to see just what the message is about. It almost always pops up shortly after reboot. I'm thinking it may have something to do with my Avast virus program???HELP!

Below is the BSOD message that keeps coming up

My Windows Vista Blue Screen Error Message.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Bad_Pool_Caller

if this is the first time you’ve seen this error screen, restart your computer, if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check to make sure any hardware or soft is properly installed.
    If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

if the problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

technical information

***stop: 0x000000c2 (0x00000099, 0x0065006c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

collecting data for crash dump…
    initializing disk for crash dump…
    beginning dump of physical memory.
    dumping physical memory to dick: 100
    physical memory dump complete.

contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.

The next reboot I got the same message but with a little different technical information, see
    below.

Instead of a “bad_pool_caller” I got,
    Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Then in the technical information area instead of,
    ***stop: 0x000000c2 (0x00000099, 0x0065006c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I got this,
    ***stop: 0x00000050 (0x92604000, 0x00000000, 0x81cf4773, 0x00000000)

MarkC, May 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

FalseMotivation

I attempted to use the Debugging Tools for Windows and no data like that showed up at all, the screen that opened had a basic intro and the bottom of the frame said "Debugee Not Connected".

On that note, I've tried reinstalling drivers etc... and my BSOD still pops up:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Stop 0x0000000A (0xE3BCB0A8, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8206E32C)

Anyone have a clue what that means?

FalseMotivation, Nov 27, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question