OEM Vista Install Hell! omg, Help Please...

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by wxnut, Oct 12, 2007.

1. wxnut

wxnut

ok, newly built system here, main components: CPU = Q6600 - 2.4, Mobo = GB GA-X38-DQ6 LGA 775, GPU = xfx 8800gts, Memory = OCZ ddr2 pc2-8500 1066 epp 5-5-5-15. HardDrive = 320gb sata WD.

my problem is with install of the OEM vers of Windows Vista Home Premium. i've been getting all kinds of errors, blue screens, and may be possible the hard drive is already corrupted. the trouble always starts after the first install screen is done.. where it says windows is loading files or preparing files and there's the white bar goes across the blk screen. errors come after that. then after getting these "windows failed to start" errors, i reboot, try to install again, and i get all kinds of blue screens.

a few main errors lists as follows...

windows failed to start, file: ci.dll or ksecdd.sys. status: oxcooooo98. info: windows failed to load because a required file is missing or corrupt.

anther error: setup.exe - application error, the instruction at ox740bca9e referenced memory at oxoooooooa. the memory could not be read.

a Blue Screen error: STOP: c0000221, inknown hard error, \systemroot\system32tdll.dll.

other "failed to start" errors said things like: kernal missing or corrupt.

Another Blue Screen: PROBLEM DETECTED: Windows shut down. Process_initialization_failed, tech info: oxooooo blah blah blah, etc.

some other errors while trying to load or install oem vista: win failed to start.. system32\boot\WinLoad.exe

Well, it just goes on and on, everytime i try to install vista. i've built 2 other systems just recently using the retail full vers of vista home premium and have had zero problems with those builds. i'm wondering if this OEM Disc is bad, or corrupted.

i guess i'm just going to go pick up another retail vers of vista fri afternoon, and try to get a replacement for this one, or possible refund.

a question, besides the install failure.. is it possible to install another copy of vista over what little did install on the hard drive? cus i know there are some files that actually got installed on the hard drive. or would i have to reformat the whole drive or what? i'm kind of new to system building, well, major install problems anyway. i've been building rigs just for the fun of it, selling them, ebay etc. this one was going to be for keeps, to replace a HP i'm selling to a buddy.

my other 2 builds went flawess. so i guess it's this oem thing. :unsure:

if anyone has a solution, or any ideas please share!! i was so hoping to get her going tonight, got a "Orange Box" here waiitng to find it's way on to shiny new hard drive.

thanks, rob

wxnut, Oct 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. wxnut

cyclic

Sounds to me very much like hard drive corruption of files from the messages you get, download the drive manufacturers utilities to check the drives fitness, I have had many a 'new' oem drive been bad over several years and as they get cheaper I think people no longer handle them with the same respect and there is a much higher rate of HDD DOA if I can put it that way.

They do say that for example if you get say half a million drives the mean time before failure is so many thousands of hours, that really means some fail in half that time some in double but more specifically some fail in half an hour from new.

I doubt you have corrupt media.

cyclic, Oct 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. wxnut

WAW8

While I too doubt that the media is corrupted, as a test (rather than buying another copy), if you still have a retail Vista DVD around, you could do a "trial" installation with that -- by NOT entering a product key during installation. If that succeeds, you know that the OEM media is faulty. You could also try duplicating the DVD and attempting an install from the copy. Again, if that works, you know the media is bad.

If those fail, you could have a bad DVD drive. Is this a new drive?

Also sounds like memory and/or HDD problems, but I've used OCZ memory several times and have not heard of any problems with it. You could try using one memory stick at a time. Know that's time consuming to keep doing installs -- but it may be the only way to isolate the problem.

WAW8, Oct 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question