Odd Installation Problem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Genomaniac, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Genomaniac

Genomaniac

Hi,

Well, i finally decided to give Vista a go. I set aside a 80gig harddrive that id been using for storage. This drive has no partitions and i formatted it.

Now when it comes to installing vista doesnt seem to want to use this drive. I go onto custom install, i select the offending drive from the list but when i click to install this pops up underneath where it says 'load driver' :

"Windows in unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation."

I am most confused, this is a good drive, it is IDE but it has never had any problems. Could it be my installer is corrupt ?I am mounting it using Daemon Tools to save DVD-R's, could this be a problem ?

Eitherway i did do a quick search of these forums but i couldnt find anyone whos had this problem. If there has been a thread about it then please point it out.

Thanks in advance.

Genomaniac, Sep 22, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Genomaniac

Synapse

I wouldn't mount it. I know you want to save DVD-Rs, but burning the ISO is the only truly safe way to install it without any internal hiccups.

Synapse, Sep 22, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Genomaniac

Genomaniac

Well unfortunately i think my DVD Writer may have conked out on me. Ill try to fix it but it may take some time before i can get a replacement. But any other suggesting would be greatly appreciated.

Just incase you ask my system specs are:<UL><LI>Athlon Xp 3200+</LI><LI>Asus A7N8XE - Deluxe Motherboard</LI><LI>2gig DDR400 Memory</LI><LI>Slightly OC Geforce FX5800 TD (would overclocking have anything to do with it ??)</LI><LI>Alot of cooling stuff in my case</LI>[/list]

The harddrive im using is a Maxtor 80gig IDE HDD. I wouldnt of thought that Vista would have a problem with it, as i stated its been formatted clean...

Genomaniac, Sep 23, 2006
  4. Genomaniac

Aranarth

Try the advanced drive options and delete an current partitions and let vista create a new one.

you never know if might work.

Aranarth, Sep 27, 2006
  5. Genomaniac

chags

It might sound funny.I have a suggestion if you would like to follow.I think you have trieddoinga fresh installation. Try installingvista in one partition and xp on the other and see ifit isworking. To the bestofmy knowledge it shouldn't be a hardware issue.I am sure it would work because i have tried doing it in my Lab.

I am looking out for other options.

gudluck :)

chags, Oct 4, 2006
  6. Genomaniac

wikked

If you're using Daemon, and only have 1 hard-drive, you can't install Vista.

The ISO file itself cannot be on the same drive you are installing to, even if you have multiple partitions.

Trust me, I have no DVD player, and I tried working around this for hours.

I finally gave up and dug an old 4GB drive out, moved the ISO to the 4GB, mounted the ISO with Daemon, then installed to C:. Worked like a charm :)

wikked, Oct 14, 2006
  7. Genomaniac

Genomaniac

Well ive finally got my DVD player fixed and will attempt to try to install again. If it doesnt work in the XP environment then i shall see what it does when i try to install it from boot up. Using the RC2 this time round.

Also there doesnt really seem to be an advanced partition options anywhere. Just custom partition and pick where you want it to go.

Genomaniac, Oct 16, 2006
  8. Genomaniac

Genomaniac

Well, no luck so far. Ive tried the methods above with no success. Even with the proper dvd copy in. A screenshot of the main prob is below:

[​IMG]

However when i try to install from boot using the DVD i dont even get that far. It comes up with a need for drivers on disk. I dont know what drivers because it doesnt necessarily say. But its annoying to say the least. Ive tried using the mobodisk and gfx card disk with little luck. Also as i disconnected the sata hdd there shouldnt have been a prob with that.

Any clues as to what drivers its after. And also any more suggestions as to how to fix this.

Genomaniac, Oct 16, 2006
  9. Genomaniac

kenhzzz

I had that same problem on the same hard drive 80gig MAXTOR. Hard drive was clean, but was connected to with a slave. I discovered that on that hard drive you have to have a special jumper to be able to run the MAXTOR as an master with a slave on the same ide bus. After I did that it picked it up no problem. The jumper goes on the middle pins.

I hope this helps

Ken

kenhzzz, Oct 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question