ODBC connection for SQL Server Failing on Home Premium network

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by xiayu, Aug 10, 2007.

1. xiayu

xiayu

So I'm troubleshooting a network of 3 Home Premium machines. One will be hosting an SQL Server database and the other 2 will serve as workstations. I had some problem accessing shares at first, and after disabling password protection for shares and uninstalling Norton and disabling UAC I was able to access, read and write to shares located on all three machines. I was able to install SQL 2005 SP2 on the host but when it came time to create ODBC connections from the workstations it was not able to login to SQL. The only thing I could think of from this point was to configure the firewall built into their router. I'm not sure what kind of router it was but I had to go to http://gateway.2wire.net to access it I believe. I added exceptions for port 1433, which is the SQL Server port but I was still unable to get the workstations to connect to SQL Server.

I've verified that I can create local ODBC connections on the host using the same settings I would on the workstations. I am selecting SQL Server authentication and think either Vista is not letting me access SQL Server utilizing SQL Server authentication or port 1433 is being blocked.

xiayu, Aug 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question