nvlddmkm driver problem

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by MadZombie, Jul 7, 2007.

1. MadZombie

MadZombie

Hi, I'm new to this forum (and registred mostly to post about my problem).

I'll be honest I don't like Vista at all, maybe it will be less considered as an offence if I say I prefer Windows XP...

Anyway, I have a game: Star Wars Empire at War, it is working perfectly but now I got the expansion pack of that game: Forces of Corruption but I cannot play. When I start the game launcher (the expansion)the menu appears as it would normaly do and then when I click ''play'' the screen oges black as it (also) would normaly do...the problem is after the usual cinematics, I begin to hear the main menu music (for half a sec) and then the game shuts down and these messages appear:(sorry for the eventual bad transltation from the French version)''Windows found a problem...bla bla bla...will try to resolve it''(andthe second approximatlygoes like)''There was an error with the nvlddmkm driver and Windows got it back''

I've tried much anything I know and visited MANY other forums but it seems no one has my solution.

Here's my specs

Pentium 4 ht 3 ghz 32bits

1024 mb RAM

MSI Nvidia GE Force FX 5200 96,85 driver (WinVista 32bits)

A nice aluminium case ??! it's not very much important

Windows Vista Family Premium (FrenchVersion)

Plz help me, I've spent something like 8 hours on that case

MadZombie, Jul 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. MadZombie

cyclic

There are many 'theories' about why this is happenening and there are some 'duct tape' fixes but the only answer until Nvidia sort their driver out is to roll back to or install a previous driver version, which mostly cures the problem. Basically it seems to be a wrongfull detection of the power available being too low which stalls the driver, this is reported in systems using 250-400 watt PSU's mainly but also with 650-1000watt's, it would be better in the long term for you if you considered upgrading your graphics card, not that it's the problem but it wil be short term for Vista and newer games the 5200 is e very under powered chip and not rated as a 'gaming' chip but a low grade multimedia chip for everyday computing. Most newer games don't support that chip only starting at the 6xxx range but only then at a very low level of performance.

cyclic, Jul 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. MadZombie

MadZombie

Yes...I admit my card is not the <U>best</U> for games, especialy recent ones but I think my power supply is enough, I properly overclocked my graphic card without problems and I have no overheating trouble, maybe the problem is only about the ''oldnesty'' of my FX 5200. I will change it for another much better soon and maybe my power supp too.

MadZombie, Jul 8, 2007
  4. MadZombie

Jason

I used to have an Fx5200 and it doesnt support directx10, maby the new expansion pack makes use of it?

Jason, Jul 20, 2007
  5. MadZombie

kingofnexus

No pre DX10 card supports DX10 games. The expansion pack wont use DX10 at all. Problem may be is that the expansion pack uses some newer DX 9 pixel shaders which the drivers have to change into dx8 (or whatever the fx5200 is native too). If the drivers are not working properly it will give an error or BSOD. Thats the way I understand it.

If the fx5200 is still supported by nVidea you may be able to get newer drivers. If its not, you could try to reinstall the game again or look for any game patches. It could be an issue solely with the game and not your drivers.

kingofnexus, Jul 20, 2007
  6. MadZombie

cyclic

Despite Nvidia's insistance that they have unified driver architecture you will also notice in their technical stuff, which most peeps don't read, that later drivers are optimised for later GPU's and you should use tha latest drivers in the series for your card, rather than the absolute latest driver which loads things into memory your PC has no chance of understanding and can even cause incorrect enumeration leading to BSOD's and all sorts of woes. So basically if you have an FX 5200 card the latest driver you should use from Nvidia' generic lin up is the last version of the 5x.xx range, as soon as you hit a 6x.xx range driver you could be doing the card a disservice. I still prefer and insist on the last one issued by the card maker on their site which you will invariably find is a fifty something series for your card, that driver is as tweaked for your card as you can get unless you believe guru 3d's hype.

Just to concurr, no software update can make a card DX10 capable, it's a hardware thing so currently only the 8xxx series of Nvidia cards have a DX10 GPU.

cyclic, Jul 24, 2007
  7. MadZombie

ronkleim

Soooo, that's it?

No fix?

I'm not a gamer, just tryig to do everyday things with my new $700.00 computer, VISTA and $100 software.

I had lot's more fun with my free, 3rd - hand MAC OS 9

I-Book and my garage-sale 1999 Compaq PC!

What a load of crap. :(

ronkleim, Nov 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question