Nvidia SATA2 RAID Driver problem

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by djbully, Jun 18, 2006.

1. djbully

djbully

<DIV class=postcolor>Hi,
    I installed Vista Beta 2 this afternoon. I have 4 Hd's in total. 2 are just running on normal IDE ATA133 (WD Caviars) and 2 are set up in stripe RAID 5 on Nvidia SATA2 (WD Raptors). On my RAID drives (WD Raptors) I have 3 partitions 1 is 10 gig with windows XP Pro 32 bit, another is 15 gig with Windows XPx64 and the remaing 120 or so gigs is just a storage drive, mostly game and apps etc.

When I first tried to install Vista before I even get to the screen which ask for the CD key it came back with a box saying "Setup cannot find information about your hard drives" or something similar. I was not given an option to load 3rd party raid drivers, and it did not even detect my standard IDE drives.

Next I unplugged the 2 Raided drives and ran setup again. This time it found my 2 standard IDE drives. at this point I then loaded my Nvidia raid drivers by clicking the load drivers button on the "where do you want to install windows" screen.

Once windows had restarted I then plugged the Raided drives back in and booted into vista. I was able to see the raided drives but in the properties it says they are 0 gigs. Also it just shows 1 drive and not the 3 partitions I have made. when I try to browse the drive it says you need to format this drive!

I have tried re-installing the raid drivers ( in vista via device manger) but it doesnt like it and comes back with a hardware error. I am using the latest available drivers from the nvidia website.

Has anyone else had this problem? or know how to resolve it?

my specs are:</DIV><DIV class=postcolor>Windows Vista 64bit
    AMD 4400+ Dual core (64bit)
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra SLi (Nforce 4)
    Leadtech Geforce 7800GTX Extreme edition (256MB)
    2Gig RAM
    HD's configured as I have explained above

Also do I need to install any Nforce 4 drivers? as I have tried to install the ones off of the nvidia website but it seems like they are mostly installed already. The only one that has worked was the audio driver.

Thanks for your time

Bully [​IMG]</DIV>

djbully, Jun 18, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. djbully

niffer022

first of all welcome... :)

right i read somewere that vista dont like raid drives, i dont know why but dont forget its still in beta stages and has tons of bugs, also im hearing alot of reports on vista not working or buggering up on a partitioned drive..... i have had no problems as i did a clean install on a ide h/d....

i duel boot too, i have vista on 1 h/d and xp home on another and everything is fine and it dont mind booting between 2 o/s systems....

install on just a normal ide h/d and to be honest id wait for support to come out for the raid h/d before you try and use them again...

nathan :)

niffer022, Jun 18, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. djbully

djbully

Hi, thanks for the reply.....

What you have suggested is basically what I have done. Vista is installed on my IDE Primary master drive. The slave is another drive just used for storage (setup files etc).

On my raid drive(s) I have XP 32 bit on 1 partition, XPx64 on another Partition and the final partition has all of my installed games and apps.

When I boot from my raid Drive(s) I can choose to start XP 32bit or XPx64.

If I want to boot Vistahave to go into my BIOS and tell my M/b to Boot from the Primary Master IDE instead of the RAID drive(s)

So how could I add Vista to my current boot up options on my raid drive(s)?

Thanks.....

Bully :)

djbully, Jun 19, 2006
  4. djbully

niffer022

i use this program to manage my bios... its aboot program lets you select which o/s system you want to run.. you have to set it up your self but its easy enough..

i manged it :p

i set mine up as

number 1 boot from cd

number 2 load windows XP (master h/d)

number 3 load VISTA ( slave h/d )

hope this helps :)

niffer022, Jun 19, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question