Nothing whose icon has a 'shield' will run.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dcf3001, Nov 20, 2008.

1. dcf3001

dcf3001

Hi there,

I boughta Quad-core 4x2.4GHz computer with 2048MB RAM and Windows Vista 64-bit installed from eBay nearly a year ago. My problem is that nothing with the 'shield' icon (at least I think it's a shield; it looks like one and has the four Windows colours on it) will run. This includes various bits of the Control Panel like the 'Add Hardware' and 'Device Manager' icons. Also, games won'tinstall because most of them have a shield in their setup icon. Clicking on one of these icons results in the blue circle (ie. Windows Vista's equivalent of the hourglass) which keeps going in the active window until I close it (which I have to do using Task Manager). Windows Live OneCare appears not to be able to start either. Anything that does run does so with no problems - the computer is not running slowly in any way and seems generally healthy.

This problem doesn't happen in Safe Mode (I can access Device Manager etc there).

Firstly, what does the shield mean when it's in an icon, and secondly, does anyone have any ideas about why anything with it won't run? I reckon this problem started six weeks or so ago: I think it coincided with when I moved the computer up to university (if that's relevant).

Many thanks,

David

dcf3001, Nov 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. dcf3001

WAW8

I used Live OneCare a while back and it totally hosed up my system -- along similar lines to what you're experiencing. The "shields" are most probably associated with Live One Care which is, in sadly typical MS fashion, attempting to "protect you from yourself". This is the same mindset that causes UAC to ask you if you want to run the same program, again and again, every time you launch it!

You could try disabling Live One Care, but I suspect that might not fix historical problems, that is, apps that it has already flagged.

Might need uninstallation/removal of Live One Care to get back to being allowed to do what you want.

WAW8, Nov 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question